81 1100 freshen up/ headlight questions

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
Motorcycle: 1981 gl1100,a 72 450 some 500 fours , some 550fours and some 650fours

81 1100 freshen up/ headlight questions

Postby rb550four » Sun May 01, 2016 6:26 pm

Hi guys, I'm kinda new to this forum and may not have put this in the proper place, I haven't found the Workshop Area yet for projects.
The story: Picked up an 81 1100, 47k, not abused, always parked indoors. Sounds promising so far right?
It came with Vindicator windscreen, 2 sidemount Vetter boxes and a vetter box/backrest behind the seat.
I'm coming up from the 500/650 class and this is my first larger bike, although excited to find one in 1/2 ways decent condition , I was having a problem with the overall visual aspect of this fine beast. I thought all fiberglass stuff has made what would be an otherwise decent looking machine very ugly . I think I prefer it naked, in fact, I like naked in general and decided after much time staring it down that all that stuff is coming off. and it did, and I liked the look of it much better. with the exception of the stock handle bars, too tall, put super bike bars on it instead and found improvement in that too.
My immediate problem right now is figure out a headlight and or some ears to hold it on that can also accommodate the stock signals.
I am also wondering about the bucket, as I have only the windscreen light which won't work, is what I'm looking for round and deep so the wiring get connected inside that like the smaller machines? Or perhaps I should switch to a rectangular lamp ? I'm open for suggestions. I'm needing ideas for this, so don't be bashful please.
And ,no , my intent is not to cafe a bike this size, for anyone that smells "cafe". I'm 5'10" and slight so I'm hoping to trim off some excess to may the machine more manageable for my build, I want better control and think I found it with the shorter bars and extra stuff gone. Thank you in advance.

Motorcycle: Honda GL1100 year 1983
Triumph Tiger 1050 year 2008

Re: 81 1100 freshen up/ headlight questions

Postby chrisz » Sun May 01, 2016 7:10 pm

Welcome. Losing weight is usually a good way forward, I've always thought as far as bikes are concerned. I would think you should be able to find a round headlight bucket/lens online, used or new. Also the 'ears' to hold the bucket can also be found online. I did something similar, my '83 was a standard (naked) with fairing, bags, etc. Once I removed the bags, fairings it became in my opinion more manageable.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”