tires and shocks

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
Cattmando
Motorcycle: 1983 gl1100

tires and shocks

Postby Cattmando » Sun May 01, 2016 6:59 pm

Sorry to say, the standard 83 I bought last week has/had after market shocks. I want to go back to the air shocks. Other than the loose hanger peg (separate post on that issue) on the final drive, I see no reason not to. Many available on E-Bay, etc. Suggestions?

Tires are beyond service life. Front is worn, rear looks okay but it's and old Dunlop 404, no traction at all when it was new, now it's like riding on ice. The Michelin Commander II (which I love) comes in the correct 140/90-16 size but I fear it will be too wide. There is almost zero clearance between the tire and the right swing arm now. Surprised to see how tight that fit is. Actually minor evidence on the sidewall of rubbing. Haven't pulled the wheel yet, but I see about 2" clearance on the left side. Wondering if there's a missing spacer in there? Arrrgh! Never mind, just looked again and the tire is also rubbing on the left on the brake caliper torsion bar. This is just not right.

Looking at the service manual now, but help and suggestions are always welcome.

Overdog
Motorcycle: 83 Goldwing Interstate

74 BMW R90/6

Re: tires and shocks

Postby Overdog » Mon May 02, 2016 4:07 am

I have an 83 Interstate. I'm running Commander II tires.....130/70 on the front and 140/90 on the rear with no clearance issues

Not mine... looks like a nice set of Progressives for sale http://www.ebay.com/itm/PROGRESSIVE-416-1622A-REAR-AIR-SHOCKS-GL1100-GOLDWING-1980-1983-/172181670586?hash=item2816d3caba:g:kYAAAOSwO~hXH34L&vxp=mtr

Cattmando

Postby Cattmando » Mon May 02, 2016 6:30 am

Thanks for the responses, guys. The Commander II was my choice for my ST1100, luved them for the twisties and high mileage. I'll look at those shocks too.

Has anyone removed the rear brake caliper torsion bar? I can see no reason for it, the caliper can easily be braced directly to the swing arm, as are modern bikes. Comments?

Cattmando

Postby Cattmando » Wed May 04, 2016 11:43 am

Here's a couple pics of my tire rubbing problem. The current tire is a Dunlop 404, 140/90-16. The letters 'n numbers on the left side are worn so smooth from the brake brace, they are hard to read. Simple enuff fix, I'm gonna delete that brace. Anyone else done that? Just light wear on the right side but you can see the contact point on the swing arm.

Also, pic of the final drive with the shock mount peg missing. The unit is now at Vincennes Welding. They will drill and tap the hole and make a bigger diameter peg to fit. Anyone else had that peg come adrift?

The fourth pic shows the rubber grommet from the top of the right hand shock, it was pinched against the frame, not in the shock eye at all.

Ordering a new Commander II from RevZilla and fixing these other issues. I have new front tire in hand. Also, gonna bid on those air shocks mentioned above unless someone has a better suggestion(?).

Here's a pic from another site of the kind of build I'm contemplating:

Cattmando

Postby Cattmando » Wed May 04, 2016 1:33 pm

Ugh! Just noticed, interference between that brake torque arm and the back of the battery box. Also, the swing arm, when hanging at the bottom of it's range without the shocks mounted, interferes with the left muffler. Gotta be more wrong with this bike.

Can someone give me an eye-to-eye measurement on a stock shock? With the left aftermarket shock mounted, the swigarm still hits the back of the left muffler. :(

Cattmando

Postby Cattmando » Sun May 08, 2016 7:38 am

Ordered and received a Michelin Commander II, 140/90-16, from Bike Bandit. Shoulder to shoulder measures 5 7/8", same as the old, old, old Dunlop currently mounted. Also found a reference which says the eye-to-eye measurement of the stock shock is 13". The shocks currently mounted measure the same, but no air pressure shocks. Wondering if the PO ordered shocks for an interstate which probably have stiffer springs(?).

Found another set of used air shocks and e-bay and bought them. Certainly don't look as nice as the ones referenced about but good enough. The ones referenced about went for nearly $200, still a good price but out of my range right now.

I'll post pics of my fixes and freshly mounted tires tomorrow. Mother's Day is taking me away from the garage. :D

Cattmando

Postby Cattmando » Thu May 12, 2016 8:23 am

Is there a simple way to move all my posts to a single thread? Make a new, general subject line to track all I'm doing.

Got the shocks I mentioned above, dirty and leaky but complete. Need to order seals and a new rubber 'gater. They will be made to work. Found a vid on the rebuild, Shop Manual CD has the rebuild instructions, and Bike Bandit has the parts.

Mounted the new Commander II, found too much weight needed to balance, so unmounted the tire and tried to balance the bare wheel. ~4 ounces needed, too much, so I started grinding. Messy and not my first choice but what are ya gonna do? Keith sez he has the same problem with his 1500 rear wheel and uses balance beads. I've tried them before without much luck.

Finally remounted the tire and went to air it up; compressor is on the fritz. Arrrgh! Got a call from the 'lectric shop yesterday so I'm on the way to go pick it up now. Minor progress as the day begins to wear on.

Haven't heard back from the machine shop on the rear drive unit yet.

New handle bars also on hand, lots to do. More pics and info coming soon...

Cattmando

Postby Cattmando » Sat May 14, 2016 10:51 am

Latest news: fighting an ongoing battle (several threads in this forum) about unavailable o-rings for the final drive. Errors in the parts list and non-availability of several parts. I'm attempting to make my own so pics will follow. Easy enough. Wonder why Honda uses odd sizes?

Also, got my final drive back, well repaired but expensive. I probably could have a bought a used one more cheaply.

Got the tire mounted and balanced. Still took 2 ounces.

Found in my stash the correct seals for the air shocks. Don't ask me why I have them on hand. Already ordered from Bike Bandit so wasted a little money but no biggie.

Cattmando

Postby Cattmando » Fri May 20, 2016 7:01 am

<HeavySigh> Started rebuilding GLoria's brake calipers yesterday. Found all six fluid seals in good shape but most of the dust seals are trash. Found one new one in my stash, interesting. Honda part 06451-GE2-405 is a seal set (fluid and dust) used in many Honda models. In my case, it's #2 on the ST1100AA front calipers diagram at ServiceHonda.com . I have a bunch of ST1100 left overs, most will go to my son who still has a 91 but I used this set on GLoria's right front caliper. Perfect fit, and the dust seal is a more modern design.

Also interesting, finding the "correct" seals was problematic, two different sites didn't even list it: 45109-GE2-006 and 45209-GE2-006. Did find them at Service Honda, but ya gotta read the parts diagram closely. It lists the left side seals first, then a sub note lists the right side seals. Veddy Interesting.

In any case, I reused all six fluid seals, one used dust seal on the right caliper, and the new one for the right side listed above. Ordered 4 new dust seals for the left front and for the rear, 45109-MA7-006. I will replace the fluid seals (45209-MA7-006) next time GLoria gets brake pads in a few thousand miles.

Kudos to WingAdmin for his 2009 article on rebuilding the calipers. I've done many on other models but this was my first GL1100. All his notes and tips made the jobe much easier. As pictured in his article, found much crud in all six dust seal grooves. Scraping and cleaning those grooves will make the most difference in performance. In GLoria's case, the brakes sucked, and it took serious effort to get the cylinders of their bores. Messy and dirty work but well worth the effort. No need for pics, WingAdmin has'em all here...
http://goldwingdocs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=44

Cattmando

Postby Cattmando » Fri May 20, 2016 10:56 am

I figured since I took the pic, might as well add it here. Shows how bad the crud can be in 46,000 miles. All six dust seal grooves looked like this. Used a hook tool for the initial cleaning, then old toothbrush with DOT 3 fluid, and then a Dremel with a stiff brush. Checked again with the hook tool and a dental mirror to see into all the crevices. Good to go again.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”