1980 1100 muffler removal/installation

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
Motorcycle: Motobecan Moped
70 Honda CL100
82(?) Honda CM450a
82 Yamaha 850 Triple
1980 GL 1100

1980 1100 muffler removal/installation

Postby Dalydude » Wed May 04, 2016 1:32 pm

I had to repair a hole rusted in my right muffler, and removal was fairly straight forward ( had to bang on a 2x2 to separate the crossover tube connection), but installation was frustrating because of the engine guards.

The right engine guard can be installed with the mufflers all bolted up and tightened, but the left is another story. In order to get the left guard on, the muffler must be lowered, far enough to clear the studs on the engine, which means the right muffler has to be able to move, and the mounts near the rear tire must be unbolted, so don't install the rear bolts or tighten up anything up until you have all the pieces in place.

The right muffler can be placed on the studs and exhaust nuts installed very loosely, but, again, don't tighten anything up (except maybe the crossover pipe clamp) until that left engine guard is in place and it's nuts started. The right engine guard will be easier to install now, too.

Then install the rear mounting bolts, then tighten up the exhaust nuts, and the rear bolt/nuts and the 12mm nuts on the rear mounting bracket, all nice and evenly.

Finally, snug up the engine guard nuts! Whew! (Don't forget the crossover tube clamp bolts.) Of course, new exhaust gaskets are a must!

This ought to save you the 45 minutes or so I spent discovering all this!

Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Re: 1980 1100 muffler removal/installation

Postby redial » Sun May 08, 2016 12:11 pm

All that experience that you have gained, and it did not cost you anything. A good hint for those with 1100s.
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”