Final carburetor or throttle tuning?

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
processing
Motorcycle: Godlwing 1100 1980

Final carburetor or throttle tuning?

Postby processing » Fri May 06, 2016 2:41 am

hello everyone,
Rebuild my carburetor and I'm very happy. BUT I'm having slight issues with the throttle settings. She idles well. When I tried to drive little bit "sportier" and try to shift up within let's say less than one second and I release the throttle grip all the way the RPMs go down sharply and when I upshift and release the clutch I have to release it rather slowly otherwise she slows down a bit and rather sharply because of the low RPMs. this happen also when I am cruising at higher speeds and release the throttle grip. That makes her slow down noticeably also. Like she goes back immediately to the idle mode of something, or simply put the RPMs do not match the speed of the bike or some like that. Now, I probably could use the idle screw throttle stopper screw to keep the RPMs higher little bit (not to let the throttle grip to close all the way in by the spring on the carburetor) but that would affect my idle and I like my idle around 950. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Peter

spiralout
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000 (gone)
1980 GL1100I (with '77 1000 engine)
1996 GL1500 SE

Re: Final carburetor or throttle tuning?

Postby spiralout » Fri May 06, 2016 10:52 am

Don't let the throttle close when shifting.
processing wrote:and I release the throttle grip all the way the RPMs go down sharply

That's how it's suppose to behave. You shouldn't be letting the throttle close all the way when you shift but if you do, you should bring the RPM back up as you start releasing the clutch lever.
processing wrote:this happen also when I am cruising at higher speeds and release the throttle grip. That makes her slow down noticeably also.

That's how it's suppose to behave. Me thinks you're seeing a mechanical problem where there is none and it's in your technique instead. Is this your first vehicle with a manual transmission?

Maz
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000K1
1976 CB500T
1979 CB750L
1990 Yamaha FJ1200

Postby Maz » Fri May 06, 2016 12:50 pm

No disrespect, but what do you expect to happen when you close the throttle?!
If you open the throttle, the engine goes fast, if you close it, the engine goes slow.
Nostalgia is not what it used to be!

processing

Postby processing » Fri May 06, 2016 2:29 pm

Hey there no offense. I know it sound stupid. When you close the throtle it is supposed to be closed. But I had two bikes (only) kawasaki VN 1500 and Honda VT 600 C Shadow. BUT they did not behave this way. The ride on my gl 1100 is too rough i think. Yes, I could keep the throttle open a bit when shifting but if gl 1100 was made that way it is a new experience for me. I am playing with the throttle bowdens and kind of getting used to it but....it almost seems that the throttle works as excellent engine brake usig toooo much of retarding forces.... Just sharing my experience that does not feel right. that s all.

Pete

Maz
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000K1
1976 CB500T
1979 CB750L
1990 Yamaha FJ1200

Postby Maz » Sat May 07, 2016 1:48 am

Pete,
It's entirely possible that your previous bikes had a fault! Maybe they were just slower to return to idle than the Goldwing. What you are describing sounds perfectly normal for every bike I have ever owned. I never completely close the throttle when changing gear anyway.
I believe you have been misled previously and just haven't got used to one of the world's best bikes........yet! :D
Maz
Nostalgia is not what it used to be!

processing

Postby processing » Sat May 07, 2016 7:34 am

I believe i solved it ...almost. I sync the carbs today and it seems to be better....as everything affects everything but i fine-adjusted the pull and push throttle cables...to suit my "driving style" :D and it is better. no more complaints. ;) i focus on RIDING now!

thanks to everyone

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”