Hard Shifting

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
str8edge
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 Aspencade

Hard Shifting

Postby str8edge » Sun May 08, 2016 1:00 am

I am having a problem with my gl1100. I just got this a few weeks ago and came from a completely different style/ age of bike.

I notice that when I am shifting in higher rpms, especially third, the gear seems to have a little trouble popping into place. It's not drastic, however it doesn't seem as smooth as other bikes that I have owned. It makes two clicking noises instead of one. Plus if I shift quick, it makes the problem worse. So, i definitely have to completely release the throttle, grab the clutch, shift up significantly and then let go of the clutch and get a hold of the throttle. I know this is a normal procedure, I just have to do it very deliberately for a clean shift on this bike, but sometimes it will still seem that it didn't click in right and i get the two clicks instead of one. Mostly this happens in third gear, but I've also had occasions on four or fifth, but not as often as third. If I have another person on the bike, it seems to get worse.

This kind of gets stupid... but I can't tell you what rpms I'm shifting at right now. Unfortunately, when I bought the bike, the tach and speedo were toast. I got a decent deal, so i sprung on it. I can say that I can tell the engine is running higher rpms from the sound that the engine is making when I'm riding... I know that sounds really dumb and I really shouldn't be running without a tach. I can say that over time riding, that you do develop an ear for these kinds of things...

So, aside from my lack of information... does anyone know what I'm running into, or is this something common on this bike?

chrisz
Motorcycle: Honda GL1100 year 1983
Triumph Tiger 1050 year 2008

Re: Hard Shifting

Postby chrisz » Sun May 08, 2016 5:57 am

The first time I rode my GL1100 I thought my gear changes were clunky compared to what I've been used to. However over time/miles I've adjusted my shifting a bit by pre-loading the shifter before upshifting. Down shifting is not much of an issue if you give it enough throttle to better match the RPMs (or the sound in your case). Once you replace the tach/speedo cables, and put some miles on the bike, it will become second nature.

str8edge

Postby str8edge » Sun May 08, 2016 8:55 pm

I tried that today, and I'm seriously leaning towards a clutch issue. I popped in between gears twice today, and it still seemed rough.
Is there a really good tutorial out there for the in bike clutch change?

chrisz
Motorcycle: Honda GL1100 year 1983
Triumph Tiger 1050 year 2008

Postby chrisz » Mon May 09, 2016 5:14 am

http://ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6905

I would first play with the clutch cable adjustment before digging into the clutch.

4wred
Motorcycle: 82 goldwing aspencade
82 aspy turned naked (sold)
89 suzuki gsx 1100F

Postby 4wred » Mon May 09, 2016 6:31 am

Sounds like your clutch may not be releasing all the way.When you're sitting idling in neutral and go into 1st gear does the bike try to learch forward?

str8edge

Postby str8edge » Fri May 13, 2016 6:29 am

Thank you for that link! Sorry for the delay in reply...

No, in neutral I haven't had that problem. I did have it just pop out of neutral the other day when I was moving the bike while running.

Quick question, about the mysterious clutch tool... I don't have anything to make or any experience making a tool like described in the post. Has anyone found a tool like that for sale online anywhere for a 82 gl1100a?

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”