Melted wires problems

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
Motorcycle: 1982 Honda gl 1100 aspencade

Melted wires problems

Postby Steveschnuck » Sun May 08, 2016 9:03 pm

Ok I recently bought a 1982 goldwing gl 1100. The bike ran fine last summer. The previous owner started having problems starting it at end of last summer. He had to jump it, then he eventually had to jump the solenoid. He replaced the solenoid with a aftermarket one.
Still the problem was never fixed, and the bike has a alternator conversion on it that doesn't make sense. There is only 1 wire on the alternator, going to a 50 amp circuit breaker by the battery. No wire plugged in to the harness on the back of alternator. The voltage regulator is still hooked up, and the stator was still hooked up.
OK my problem starts with a green wire running from solenoid to a diode by fuse box. The wire leaves the diode, red in color, splitting off one going up to the kill switch, or starter button, or the clutch, never traced it that far. The other goes into the block under timing cover. I believe it's a neutral safety switch.
I'm going to replace those wires and the diode. Is there a way yo bypass the neutral safety?
My other problem that is occurring, I can't get power to anything. Unless I'm pushing red starter button. If I push the button, I can get power only when pressing it. The only way I can get the bike to turn over is jumping solenoid. I wonder if the aftermarket solenoid is wired different than wiring harness? How can I check that with my multimeter? And I can't get the bike to start. I haven't checked it for spark yet on the coils because I need to get power to my gages first! Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. The bike only has 50,000 miles on it.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”