Wiring Question

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
pappajim0719
Motorcycle: 1979 GL1000 full dress

Wiring Question

Postby pappajim0719 » Fri May 13, 2016 12:45 pm

Hello to all. I am installing a Pacifica fairing on my 82. The harness on the bike uses a flat blade connector, the fairing has round pins, so I'm having to do some cutting and splicing.

My question: I can run a hot lead to the green lead on the fairing and my right signal lights up, when I chase the original harness it indicates blue with white stripe. When I check for voltage with the key on, the blue/white lead registers full voltage and drops to zero with the turn signal switch off. Logic would lead one to believe if they attach a lead with 12v. (tested) and a lead on the fairing is hooked to 12v. lights up the right turn signal, but when I hook the two together, no turn signal.

How is this possible?

This is driving me crazy!!! :oops:

Jim
Ride like everyone on the road is trying to kill you, or one of them will.

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Re: Wiring Question

Postby virgilmobile » Fri May 13, 2016 1:05 pm

Crazy is doing the same thing over and expecting different results.
Honda is specific about color coding there wiring.A solid dark green is ground.When you apply power to a green wire it should blow the fuse you have to protect your test wire.If the lamp lights,its "back feeding" through the other attached parts.
Use a different approach in testing..If a "thing" needs 12 volts to work, measure for that volts directly at the part.Both its ground and power leads.
If there is no volts to operate it,then use a connection from the battery ground to determine if there is lack of power or the ground.You should never see volts on a ground wire measuring from the battery ground.
As always,attempt to test while actually trying to operate the part.A circuit without a load can show volts a plenty but fall flat as soon as the part is hooked up from a bad connection/corrosion,etc.

pappajim0719
Motorcycle: 1979 GL1000 full dress

Re: Wiring Question

Postby pappajim0719 » Fri May 13, 2016 1:18 pm

Thank you. I am closely following the Honda codes from my harness, the problem is Pacifica follows none of them, in fact the "factory" plug that came from Pacifica doesn't follow the same code from one plug to the other, so color chasing is impossible.

I isolated the circuits for the Hi beam, Lo Beam, R&L Turn, and Running Lights in the fairing.
I have a separate ground wire coming from the green wire on the bike directly to the ground wire in the harness and the connection tested good.

As of now I have functioning running lights and left turn. When wired in or soldered in, the right turn will not light, I connected the lead from the working left light, the right one burned.

So, I have a hot wire, hooking to a wire hooked to a working bulb, running current through tested functional wire, it's hot when it's unhooked, not when it's connected
Jim
Ride like everyone on the road is trying to kill you, or one of them will.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”