new source for GL1100 dipstick kit

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
tylers883
Motorcycle: 81 GL1100

new source for GL1100 dipstick kit

Postby tylers883 » Mon May 30, 2016 11:27 am

Hi Everyone,

I've searched this forum extensively - but now that it is 2016 - none of the links to vendors that sell the GL1100 dipstick kit ( the one that replaces the drain plug) are valid.

Also, generally, google is my friend, but unfortunately this time I am not finding it.

Can anyone help out a newbie owner of a 1981 GL1100 Interstate?

Thank you

littlebeaver
Motorcycle: 1981 gl 1100 I , 79 Yamaha XS11
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Re: new source for GL1100 dipstick kit

Postby littlebeaver » Mon May 30, 2016 12:59 pm

dipsticks seem to be harder and harder to find these days....If you are lucky someone will direct you straight to a site, be patient and someone will link you up....Ebay might have some, not sure...

dnehasert
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 with Watsonian sidecar

Postby dnehasert » Mon May 30, 2016 10:02 pm

I have this and is a good one. Full info. http://ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=52527
with pictures.
Belowis the last post with info. Doug

CYBORG Moderator
ModeratorPosts: 18711Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:52 amLocation: Muskegon michContact:
Contact CYBORG
Re: Manual Oil Level Checking Device.

Old Fogey wrote:
So, when did you last check your oil?
I mean, when did you last give yourself a hernia getting the bike onto the centre stand, get out the prayer mat and get down on your arthritic knees to pay homage to the dirty glass window, find it's covered with muck, get up off the prayer mat to find a rag, repeat the previous knee creaking exercise, clean the outside of the window only to realise you have not brought the requisite screwdriver to turn the internal wiper, get up off the prayer mat to find a screwdriver, repeat the pain-in-the-knees exercise once again, only to find that the screwdriver slot in the plastic wiper is so chewed up you can't use it, and anyway the little wiper blade has fallen off inside!
Meanwhile, your pal with the GL1200 (the one model with a dipstick) has checked his and, having been sitting with the engine running waiting for you for at least ten minutes, has now ridden off to enjoy himself without you.! :roll:

Fear not friends, help is at hand!

You guys on NGW are hearing this first.

A super-dooper, chrome plated, front and side mounted, Cyborg-created, dipstick!
bump

dipstick1 (Medium).jpg

This is it mounted on CYBORG. Looks real good!

dip stick2 (Medium).jpg

Here are the all the supplied components.

Side mounted beside the radiator, this dip stick means no more sore knees or aching back trying to see that most ridiculous piece of Honda nonsense. The blade could also be marked so that you can do it with the bike on the side stand.

Would that make your life so much easier or what!

The oil tube is chromed copper, the dipstick is chromed steel and the banjo & union are zinc plated steel (we sourced these in the UK as they seem to unavailable in the USA.). The straps are stainless steel.

This would seem an essential for the guys with side-cars on the right. The gymnastics involved to see the sightglass with a rig like that hurt just to think about!

These are being hand made made in limited quantity, more or less to order, although we have some in stock @ $47.50 plus shipping.

Send your order to Doug at wingovationsusa@gmail.com.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Display posts from previous: All posts1 day7 days2 weeks1 month3 months6 months1 year Sort by AuthorPost timeSubject AscendingDescending

tylers883

Postby tylers883 » Tue May 31, 2016 10:24 am

Thanks for the link. I can't view it until I register which I will do tonight.

tylers883

Postby tylers883 » Tue May 31, 2016 7:54 pm

Just registered. Those pictures are awesome.

tylers883

Postby tylers883 » Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:31 am

Just an update.

Instead of going Tim Allen with a big fancy chromed set up (which looks awesome,btw) I decided to go for a much simpler approach.

I cut about a 10" piece of metal tape from an electrician's fish tape. I figured out a way to dip it into the oil fill hole. And tested dozens of times to make certain that I had good repeatability.

Then I crawled onto my hand and knees (one last time) to verify that my oil level was ideal.

With a file,I marked the level on my new dipstick. Been working like a charm for several weeks already.

I've got more tape if anyone wants to make a donation to my son's Scout troop. Pm me if you are interested.

mytown
Motorcycle: 1982 Goldwing Interstate

Postby mytown » Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:51 pm

+1 to Old Fogey's point. I recently ran into this problem:
I mistook the cleaned/uncleaned line as the oil level and overfilled. Naturally I had to backtrack by letting some oil out, recheck, etc. :evil: :evil: :evil:

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”