carb cutting out

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
mmagag
Motorcycle: 1981 honda gold wing interstate gl1100

carb cutting out

Postby mmagag » Tue May 31, 2016 11:15 am

Hi I have 1981 Honda Goldwing and rebuilt most all the bike ,,,now I rebuilt the carbs put the on and she firied right up took for a cruise and then I got the no response once I get up to 3500 rpms if I twist the throttle anymore it will just die,,but if I give a lot more throttle it takes off like a raped ape....could this be my accelerator pump and or air flo valve... I need help here please...thank you

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Re: carb cutting out

Postby virgilmobile » Tue May 31, 2016 11:22 am

My first guess is a sticking slide.
Using a small mirror in the bottom of the plenum box to see each slide,pop the throttle and watch each one.
Mine would easily rise about half way and fall.
Except for one.It would stick shut about half the time.
I did have to re-polish them and test again before I put them back on the bike.
I used a shop vac to simulate the engine.
Those slides must be absolutely butter smooth from bottom to top action.

Overdog
Motorcycle: 83 Goldwing Interstate

74 BMW R90/6

Postby Overdog » Tue May 31, 2016 5:50 pm

Been there, done that...in my case it was because I didn't set the float levels. I re-used my stock floats so I thought they wouldn't need reset. Problem was, I replaced the needle valves and seats with new parts from my rebuild kit....once I set the float levels she ran like a scalded dog and still does.

Did you confirm that all 4 accel. pump nozzles were clear and squirting before you re-installed the rack?

mytown
Motorcycle: 1982 Goldwing Interstate

Postby mytown » Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:40 am

This is my go to internet instructions for rebuilding the carbs:
http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12168
It includes pictures of using aluminum foil to clean the slides. Other instructions use steel wool. I know one time I cleaned the slides by soaking in carb cleaner and may have even used an ultrasonic cleaner. At that point one of the slides was actually more sticky and it was not until I used steel wool that it slid smoothly. Assemble the spring into the piston then drop the piston into the vacuum chamber. You'll be able to manually test if they move smoothly.

I've read where some aftermarket float needles are the incorrect size and throwing off the float height. That can cause some weird throttle problems. Go with Honda needles.

Check that the gas cap vent is clean. I've heard that a clogged one can cause erratic throttle response.

Here's a link to Mike Nixons site where you can find tech articles on how the carbs work.
http://www.motorcycleproject.com/

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”