Center Stand information request

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
Newport
Motorcycle: 1983A Aspencade
2012 Triumph Tiger XC

Center Stand information request

Postby Newport » Sat Jun 04, 2016 2:21 pm

After a complete rebuild including blasting and powder coating the frame I only now have become aware that the center stand support needs repair so another strip down is in front of me.
This is really going to test my enthusiasm for old bikes but has to be done.
As I am in Melbourne, Australia it is going to be a challenge to find a bike that I can model off to get the correct shape of things so if anyone can help please give me whatever you can.
There just are not a lot of these bikes about.
I have tried to provide photos that demonstrate the problems
From the photos you will see that there may even be issues with the removable frame section as the bike leans too far on side stand.
How can I know just what shape this should be including attachment point of side stand?
On the subject if the side stand I am wondering why there is a second spring anchor point as per included photo.
Attachments

Aussie81Interstate
Motorcycle: 1982 CX500 Turbo (restoration project)
1981 GL1100 Interstate (sold)
1988 GL1500

Re: Center Stand information request

Postby Aussie81Interstate » Sat Jun 04, 2016 5:50 pm

I did have an 81 Interstate with a similar problem.

From that picture of the side stand - it would appear the side stand pivot bolt could be worn out - get it on the centre stand and remove the side stand bolt and if necessary replace it - these are a shoulder bolt as well. I'm pretty sure the pivot pin behind the stand is for the side stand spring? not sure where your spring is located.

As for the centre stand - I only used mine I think about 3 times - as when I finally got it on the centre stand it would only sit 1/2" off the ground at the rear wheel - and I discovered that it was damaged and needed to be replaced or repaired - which I did not do before I sold the bike. Also are your mufflers on all the way - could be why it does not look lined up.

Cheers

Charlie
:)

Newport
Motorcycle: 1983A Aspencade
2012 Triumph Tiger XC

Re: Center Stand information request

Postby Newport » Sat Jun 04, 2016 6:32 pm

Aussie81Interstate wrote:I did have an 81 Interstate with a similar problem.

From that picture of the side stand - it would appear the side stand pivot bolt could be worn out - get it on the centre stand and remove the side stand bolt and if necessary replace it - these are a shoulder bolt as well. I'm pretty sure the pivot pin behind the stand is for the side stand spring? not sure where your spring is located.

As for the centre stand - I only used mine I think about 3 times - as when I finally got it on the centre stand it would only sit 1/2" off the ground at the rear wheel - and I discovered that it was damaged and needed to be replaced or repaired - which I did not do before I sold the bike. Also are your mufflers on all the way - could be why it does not look lined up.

Cheers

Charlie
:)

Thanks Charlie.
Unlike your 1500 the mufflers and header pipes on an 1100 are one piece so there is no adjustment.
I believe that the center stand support is both bent forward and twisted so it seems that I have a job to do.
Yes there is slight wear in side stand bolt but what I suspect is that the removable frame section is also weak and therefore the mounting plate for the side stand may be at the wrong angle.
I am hoping that someone can give me the correct angle so that I can verify.
The spring for my center stand is under the bike and anchors in a different location.
I suppose you notice that I am also spelling centre as center as I have to make sure I have American English as well!

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”