Carbs leaking gas after complete rebuild

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
montgomery63
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 Naked Wing

Carbs leaking gas after complete rebuild

Postby montgomery63 » Sun Jun 05, 2016 11:46 am

I am so discouraged! Late last summer, I took my GL1100 to the Honda dealer because a few of the carbs were leaking gas while it idled. They ended up doing a complete rebuild of all four carbs. $$$$! I was able to ride it for 1,300 trouble-free after that. I winterized the bike by filling the gas tank full and adding both Stabil and Seafoam, running it so the treated gas would work through the carbs. I ran the carbs dry with the fuel petcock off, then drained the float bowls by loosening the drain screws, just as the dealer suggested. So, when I just took my bike out of storage and started it up, carbs on both sides are leaking like crazy. Any suggestions on what I can do without taking it back to the dealer again? I'm not courageous enough to do carb work on my own, but if there's something simple, I could try that. It just doesn't seem like I should be having this problem again after having the carbs completely rebuilt so recently. Thanks.

RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Re: Carbs leaking gas after complete rebuild

Postby RBGERSON » Sun Jun 05, 2016 1:19 pm

float could be stuck rap on the bowls with a screw driver's handle..and/or some riding may shake it loose..

next

run it for a while the rubber tips of the float needles could be dry and not sealing properly,

next find the source or start here???..plenum gasket..middle of the plenum?? carb to plenum o ring where carb attaches to plenum?? air box off paper int he plenum base and look in..for both of these;

float seats up the jets take caps off and look down the throats at the jet tops.

Lots of posts on how to check these things with more detail..
HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB

montgomery63

Postby montgomery63 » Sun Jun 05, 2016 6:42 pm

I tapped on the carb bowls with the handle of a screwdriver, let it idle for a while, then took it for a short ride to see if the vibration would help at all. The leaking has slowed significantly, but there is still a slow drip from the carbs on the left side. I'll try starting it for a few days and taking it for short rides to see if it improves. Thanks for the input.

deanbw
Motorcycle: 1986 gl1200a aspencade . Honda xl600r, '68 z50, '82z50, '80cx500c, '00 klr250

Postby deanbw » Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:24 am

If you use an additive in your gas like sta-bil or seafoam, you dont need to drain the carbs. It causes more problems than it prevents, the rubber dries out and you get just what you are experiencing. I know a lot will disagree but I never used to use any additives and never drained the carbs on any engines and I have 2 trucks,1 jeep,3 cars,2motorcycles that are all licensed and get driven, some sit for a month or two some like the bikes sit all through winter and most of spring, never had a problem.

montgomery63

Postby montgomery63 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:10 pm

Thanks deanbw. That makes some sense. Something to think about. As an update, tapping the carbs, idling it for a while, then riding it around town a bit, the leaking has pretty much stopped. It does seem like perhaps the rubber seals had dried out or something was just stuck from when the carbs were drained. I'm so glad I'm not looking at having to have the carbs torn apart again. Thanks for the advice everyone.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”