Starter issues: to replace or to repair? that is the question...

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
urbnbrzln
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100I Interstate

Starter issues: to replace or to repair? that is the question...

Postby urbnbrzln » Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:55 am

Hey guys,

I recently acquired an 83 interstate in need of some serious tlc. Bike ran while parked, however it was difficult to start. PO put in a new battery, didn't help the issue much. Kept hearing the clicking sound from the solenoid, nothing from the starter. Eventually it started, happy to see the motor turn and idle fine, despite a good amount of white smoke coming from exhaust (will dig in and check out the head gaskets eventually).

Still having issues starting the bike, so started working my way back. Solenoid getting power fine, battery is good (12.8v), went down to the starter, which was also getting the full 12.8v, but nothing turns. Figured this is where the issue lies, probably bad brushes, and pulled the starter, following the guide I found here. Opened it up, brushes seemed fine, however I noticed some frayed wires, and a crapped out gasket in the back of the starter, check out the pictures. My thoughts would be to replace the brushes altogether, but the I'm concerned about the gasket. I couldn't find any replacement parts for the gasket online, I don't think I was supposed to remove the back cap of the starter motor, however I was trying to be meticulous and thorough. Haven't reassembled it yet, starter is sitting in parts on the bench, rubbing alcohol drying off right now. Will try to reassemble and test with a battery, I'll keep you guys posted. Was wondering if anyone has any experience with that gasket in particular, or if you guys think these frayed wires are maybe causing a short in the circuit. Starter rebuild kit seems to run between $30-40, however the option of replacing it altogether is less than $80 on Amazon, link at http://www.amazon.com/STARTER-MOTORCYCL ... B008Y3PX2U (no idea how reliable that part will be, as OEM starter runs for nearly $500!)

Open to suggestions and ideas, thank you for reading!
Attachments
Frayed wires
Frayed wires
frayed wires
frayed wires
one more
one more
Gasket issues...
Gasket issues...

urbnbrzln

Re: Starter issues: to replace or to repair? that is the question...

Postby urbnbrzln » Tue Jun 07, 2016 1:23 pm

UPDATE:

I reassembled the starter, sans gasket. Not sure how important it is, guessing it keeps water out of the electrical components. Hooked it up to 12.5v, turned fine, albeit sluggishly. Getting it back in the bike to see what happens, progress reports to follow!

MikeB
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade.
2003 - GL1800A

Postby MikeB » Tue Jun 07, 2016 6:31 pm

urbnbrzln wrote:UPDATE:Hooked it up to 12.5v, turned fine, albeit sluggishly. Getting it back in the bike to see what happens, progress reports to follow!

I have a feeling that a sluggish starter motor without a load is a starter that will not turn when installed and put under load. Replacement may be your best option.
MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

Johnyy Smoke
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100
Vetter. "Its like Deja Vu all over again".

Postby Johnyy Smoke » Wed Jun 08, 2016 4:39 am

Did you clean the armature commutator very well? Also check the wires for nicks, a dab of varnish on the nicks will help.
The motor should spin like the devil with it not being hooked up to the bike, sounds like a bad contact. I would replace brushes as well. Regards, Johnny

urbnbrzln

Postby urbnbrzln » Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:23 am

Johnyy Smoke wrote:Did you clean the armature commutator very well? Also check the wires for nicks, a dab of varnish on the nicks will help.
The motor should spin like the devil with it not being hooked up to the bike, sounds like a bad contact. I would replace brushes as well. Regards, Johnny

Thanks for the input Johnny,

I cleaned the armature commutator the best I could, its nice and shiny, however the housing is still pretty dirty. I scrubbed away at it with copious amounts of 90% rubbing alcohol and a nylon brush, I got the bulk of the sludge out but the housing still isn't perfect. I was considering replacing the brushes as you recommended, however the crapped out gasket from the back cap of the starter motor I cannot replace as easily. Do you think the missing gasket would cause any major issues? I've toyed with the idea of fabbing it, however I think gasket material from an auto shop might be a little too thick. $80 for a brand new starter seems like a good option to spare me the hassle, just don't know about the quality, any thoughts on these cheap starters found on ebay?

Thanks again!

Johnyy Smoke
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100
Vetter. "Its like Deja Vu all over again".

Postby Johnyy Smoke » Wed Jun 08, 2016 4:54 pm

Be very wary of cheap starters- especially ones sold by Saber cycle on E-bay (100% junk). I doubt that the missing gasket will cause any problems, helps to keep out moisture, dust, etc.
I found a starter on E-bay (OEM) that was bad, got it for $10. Got the replacement plate and brushes for $15, rebuilt it and its was as good as new. Replace the brushes, and clean it a little better, hopefully you will get good results. Regards, Johnny

MikeB
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade.
2003 - GL1800A

Postby MikeB » Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:19 pm

Google GL1100I starter motor. You will have more results than you can stand. Even Amazon.com
MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

walker70
Motorcycle: 1986 Honda Goldwing Aspencade

Postby walker70 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:17 pm

Hi,I went ahead and replaced the starter on my 86 Goldwing but am going to rebuild the old one as a spare,I had to work backwards a bit find out that it was the starter,also I replaced my battery. :D

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”