Camshaft Leak???

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
str8edge
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 Aspencade

Camshaft Leak???

Postby str8edge » Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:53 am

So i cracked open the timing belt cover and I found the bottom section coated in oil. It looks like that the middle pulley is leaking oil. I assume that is the camshaft?
How bad is this mess to fix? Full engine removal?

4wred
Motorcycle: 82 goldwing aspencade
82 aspy turned naked (sold)
89 suzuki gsx 1100F

Re: Camshaft Leak???

Postby 4wred » Sat Jun 11, 2016 4:35 pm

The middle pulley is the crankshaft the 2 outer ones are the camshafts.

str8edge

Postby str8edge » Sat Jun 11, 2016 6:46 pm

Thanks for letting me know.

Is there a repair for it without removing the engine from the bike, or is this a serious type of repair? I've looked online and while I found vague references to repairing them, no one really says how they are repaired?

RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Postby RBGERSON » Sun Jun 12, 2016 9:14 am

You have to pull the belts and crankshaft pulley then pull the seal off..many use screws into the seal and then wiggle it out new seal pressed in and that's it. Note make the crankshaft pulley's postion and put it back in the same position in relation to the camshaft pulleys..best to line them like you were going to change the belts..you probably should while you are doing this anyway. There are several how to's on belt change..same procedure except you pull the crank pulley and seal. The key is not to move the crankshaft and not the camshaft pulleys they are in synch and need to stay that way..so loosen the crankshaft bolt while everything is still in place so if the crank moves the cams will as well. Once it's loose line everything up and then remove the crank pulley bolt and seal. Clear as mud????

PS those seals can be hard to find have it in hand before you start.
HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB

str8edge

Postby str8edge » Sun Jun 12, 2016 9:56 am

Thank you for that explanation.
I have a few questions though....
Once the belts are off and your trying to remove the pulley off the crankshaft, wouldn't the force from what you are doing move the crankshaft?
And if that does occur, would you be able to use the back stator? bolt to rotate the crankshaft back to the T1 mark and then realign the camshaft pulleys with their marks on the cover and be set able to have everything back as it needs to be?

I'm just thinking of a scenario where if everything goes completely wrong, there's a way to fix it. Prepare for the worst, hope for the best sort of thing.

RBGERSON

Postby RBGERSON » Mon Jun 13, 2016 12:41 pm

It might and yes you can put the crank back into position with the stator bolt..key again is to make sure the cam wheels and the crank are lined up the way they started. So start with them at T1 note the positions of everything..even make your own marks with a marker etc. just to be sure..

FAIR WINDS,
RB

Old Fogey
Motorcycle: 1976 GL1000
1979 GL1000

Postby Old Fogey » Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:10 pm

str8edge wrote:Thank you for that explanation.
I have a few questions though....
Once the belts are off and your trying to remove the pulley off the crankshaft, wouldn't the force from what you are doing move the crankshaft?
And if that does occur, would you be able to use the back stator? bolt to rotate the crankshaft back to the T1 mark and then realign the camshaft pulleys with their marks on the cover and be set able to have everything back as it needs to be?

I'm just thinking of a scenario where if everything goes completely wrong, there's a way to fix it. Prepare for the worst, hope for the best sort of thing.

Use the stator bolt to hold the engine still. If you do this, be sure to check the torque on that bolt before fitting the cap back on. An air impact driver is the best way of shifting the crankshaft bolt.

You can also hold the engine still by putting in gear and having someone stand on the rear brake.
Image Image

'Impossible' is just a level of difficulty! The only stupid question is the one you didn't ask first!

RBGERSON

Postby RBGERSON » Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:17 am

+1 good tips!!! Fogey

FAIR WINDS,
RB

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”