Clutch...need help

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
Wingman80
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100

Clutch...need help

Postby Wingman80 » Sun Jun 12, 2016 2:51 pm

My clutch cable broke, and after attempting to rig up a rope from the lifter arm on the clutch housing, to get me home, I realized that there is zero spring resistance in the clutch lifter arm (where it attaches to the housing. It moves freely from about 2-5 o'clock and I can move it with my finger. And pulling up with moderate force on the rope attached to the lifter arm does not move it any further than the 2 o'clock position. Does anyone know what might have broken?

Thanks in advance!

David

Old Fogey
Motorcycle: 1976 GL1000
1979 GL1000

Re: Clutch...need help

Postby Old Fogey » Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:50 pm

The first question is; why do you thnk something is broken, other than the cable?

Was the clutch operating normally until the cable broke? If so, then the answer is that nothing else is broken but pulling on a rope attached to the clutch operating arm with 'moderate force' will not get you very far. You need the mechanical advantage multiplier of the clutch lever. A new cable is probably the only answer.
It also sounds as though the adjuster inside the clutch cover need to be adjusted.

(#8 on the fisc) http://images.cmsnl.com/img/partslists/ ... 0_b4db.gif
Image Image

'Impossible' is just a level of difficulty! The only stupid question is the one you didn't ask first!

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:39 pm

Correct. You're probably pulling the lever through the "free play" portion, and then it stops when you start to pull the clutch apart, against the force of the springs. You need a LOT of force - I wouldn't be surprised if it is 100 lbs or more - to pull against those clutch springs. You can do it with your hand on the clutch lever because you have the force multiplication of the lever itself.

Wingman80

Postby Wingman80 » Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:26 pm

Thanks everyone for your responses. They all made sense, and really helped me through a lot of worries. I thought I had broken something, but as it turns out, I just wasn't applying enough force to pull the clutch plates apart manually. I got a new OEM clutch cable today and installed it. The result..... The best clutch action since I have owned the old Wing. :D I am glad I found this community, and I am endebted to all the experts here that quickly respond.

Ever Grateful,

David :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Wingman80

Postby Wingman80 » Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:36 pm

Also, just a lesson learned here. For the past few weeks before the cable broke, I had been continually readjusting the tensioner on the lever for a normal clutch disengagement. In hindsight I now realize that Every time I had to adjust it, it was due to one of the strands breaking or the cables stretching due to increased load on the remaining strands.... I should have put 2&2 together, but being a novice rider, I just didn't make the connection. (Pun intended). I routed 2 new cables together with one routed without connections on both ends, so next time this happens, I'm not out of commission for another week. I would highly recommend this practice.

Thanks,

David

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”