Where does this harness plug in???????

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
Bikerdave79
Motorcycle: 1983 gl1100a Aspencade

Where does this harness plug in???????

Postby Bikerdave79 » Fri Jun 17, 2016 5:24 pm

Having a f**k of a time finding where this damn harness plugs into. Follow the wiring diagram it only shows the harness going directly from the cluster to the "change switch" or "charge switch" I got this bike torn halfway back apart looking for the other end to this darn cable and I'm at a loss. The bike came in crates and slowly I've reassembled everything. Just this one stupid wire I cannot find the mate to. Help!!!!!!!!!!

mytown
Motorcycle: 1982 Goldwing Interstate

Re: Where does this harness plug in???????

Postby mytown » Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:14 am

Here's a thread that may be of interest:
http://goldwingdocs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14613

There's this: "The rotary gear change switch is inside the front engine cover.To inspect the switch, disconnect the 6-P black coupler along the right down tube. (thats your right as you sit on the bike)"

But then there is this: "Check to make sure you have an 83 motor. My 83 Aspy has an 82 motor. The wire hook ups are not there.I only have the neutral like yours."

Good luck.

Bikerdave79

Postby Bikerdave79 » Sat Jun 18, 2016 5:57 am

mytown wrote:Here's a thread that may be of interest:
http://goldwingdocs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14613

There's this: "The rotary gear change switch is inside the front engine cover.To inspect the switch, disconnect the 6-P black coupler along the right down tube. (thats your right as you sit on the bike)"

But then there is this: "Check to make sure you have an 83 motor. My 83 Aspy has an 82 motor. The wire hook ups are not there.I only have the neutral like yours."

Good luck.

Ok then it all makes sense. I don't believe the front cover is original. I had it all apart recently to change the water pump and seals. There was no neutral switch of any kind or any kind of gear change switch. Just a blank cover. So either the cover is off the wrong year or the motor is. But as long as it's only for the gear position I can certainly live without that. I was under the impression it ran other parts of the cluster as well. I guess I'll just leave it hanging. Thanks so much!!!

mytown
Motorcycle: 1982 Goldwing Interstate

Postby mytown » Sat Jun 18, 2016 2:04 pm

I don't know if you have started the bike, but keep in mind that there needs to be ground to the solenoid/starter relay. Based upon my read of what I see in the diagram and upon my experience with similar bikes, the green wire to that switch is one of the two ways that the needed ground is supplied.The other way is by pulling in the clutch lever while in any gear.

If you look closely at the change switch on the diagram you'll see the indication for ground. My guess is that the switch is closed when the bike is in neutral thereby providing the required ground.

It looks to me as though the green (ground) wire leaves the change switch, goes into the dash consul at #7, then heads back and up through a diode and then into the solenoid as lg/r which is the ground wire for the solenoid. The neutral indicator light is also provided ground in this manner, and I'm pretty sure that the diode keeps the light from operating when ground is provided via the clutch lever. Don't know if any of this is helpful, but I thought it best to write it out since I won't remember half of it in about 10 minutes.

Bikerdave79

Postby Bikerdave79 » Sat Jun 18, 2016 2:13 pm

mytown wrote:I don't know if you have started the bike, but keep in mind that there needs to be ground to the solenoid/starter relay. Based upon my read of what I see in the diagram and upon my experience with similar bikes, the green wire to that switch is one of the two ways that the needed ground is supplied.The other way is by pulling in the clutch lever while in any gear.

If you look closely at the change switch on the diagram you'll see the indication for ground. My guess is that the switch is closed when the bike is in neutral thereby providing the required ground.

It looks to me as though the green (ground) wire leaves the change switch, goes into the dash consul at #7, then heads back and up through a diode and then into the solenoid as lg/r which is the ground wire for the solenoid. The neutral indicator light is also provided ground in this manner, and I'm pretty sure that the diode keeps the light from operating when ground is provided via the clutch lever. Don't know if any of this is helpful, but I thought it best to write it out since I won't remember half of it in about 10 minutes.

My motor has no neutral switch that I can see. And it runs and drives fine, just have this extra wire wire with no mate and the gear position part doesn't work. I'm guessing either the motor or cluster was replaced with a different year at some point. The bike came in pieces so anything is possible

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”