GL1100 Fork Seal Replacement fail

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
poppadre
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100

GL1100 Fork Seal Replacement fail

Postby poppadre » Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:29 am

Hey Guys,

Attempted to change out the fork seals on the GL1100. Not the best of luck. I need to get a better set of snap ring pliers for 1. I managed to get the left side snap ring out before my pliers broke so I started there. I was following a bit of a number of guides. I mostly followed this one here.

. I saw one guide remove the top cap and spring is that necessary? When filling the oil it takes a lonnnnggg time for the oil to settle. And the last time i put some oil it it didnt seem to settle down. (7.4oz in '81 GL1100) I manged to get half that in maybe with some of the floor. So I am going to have to redo the oil anyways. So I guess my question is does the oil have to go in the fork cap? If so, how do I make it so the air hose doesn't twist on removal and reinstall? How am I supposed to get enough force to get the seal into place. Especially when there is some spring to the forks.
Another question was which way does my retainer ring go. I have the same one that was brought up in this thread here (http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/2-g ... hings.html) They answer the question but I'm not sure which picture they are referring to. Does it go on like this _| L or 7 |^

Thanks!

RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Re: GL1100 Fork Seal Replacement fail

Postby RBGERSON » Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:40 am

read this..http://ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11831

more details full removal etc. but has all the info you need.

Your questions..you can fill from the bottom if you remove the shrader valve/ the core to let air out, take the air hose of the cap to remove the caps, with springs out mark the spot where the cap threads engage the tube threads so when you put it back together with the spring in you line the marks up just short of the mark and as you apply pressure the cap catches right away makes it a lot easier to do.

AND parts fiche are your friend

http://ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11831
HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB

poppadre

Postby poppadre » Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:24 am

Thanks RBGERSON! I did see this guide but was hoping to not have to take the forks out since I have the front fairing on and not sure how that whole warlock comes off. But looks like that is what I am going to have to do. I have to take the lower fairing off when I do my timing belts anyways so I might as well get the whole thing off now to get at the forks. I found the Clymers Manual and it give me a good picture of how that lower retaining ring go in, so that's solved! Next step is to look around for a guild to remove that fairing haha

poppadre

Postby poppadre » Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:06 am

Well I decided to go the longer route and take the fairing of and forks out of the triples. This wasn't nearly as bad as I had expected. It is my first fairing'd bike so I didn't know how easy it would be. I got the shocks all fully disassembled, cleaned up, and a coat of WD40 on them while they sit in my garage. I had the seals but after taking the bike apart I noticed that the bushings are damaged (one from wear, and two from tearing) Called the Winnipeg Honda dealer today (Winnipeg Sport and Leisure) and they said they can do a rush order for me so I can get the parts Monday. I was hoping to get the forks back on the bike tonight but I guess not much I can do now. I might start taking the rad and covers off to get ready for my timing belt change to keep me busy tonight. I picked up 10W fork oil but now that I lost some on my first failed attempt I need to pick some more up.

Do you guys use fork oil or the manual spec'd ATF? ATF is cheaper so I'm thinking I might just grab a bottle of that.

Pics :)

RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Postby RBGERSON » Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:32 pm

ATF is fine..just the heavier the oil the stiffer the ride..ATF is fairly light..note you don't have to pull the fairing to do the forks..yoiu can reach in from the top by the caps and loosen the pinch bolts and the forks slide right out..for next time....and it's always a good idea to replace bushings with the rebuild..

HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”