Rear Master Cylinder Push Rod

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
poppadre
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100

Rear Master Cylinder Push Rod

Postby poppadre » Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:42 pm

When I got the bike the previous owner had the rear brake pedal way above the foot peg, definitely not what the manual says. So I went to adjust this by spinning the clevis on the threaded rod on the push rod. I then thought... Maybe he had the brake up so high because he didn't adjust how far in the push rod goes into the master cylinder. So I decided to try and spin the threaded rod to try and raise it higher in to the master cylinder. Couldn't get the rod to raise up and noticed the nut at the top of the threaded rod where it meets the master cylinder was spinning with the nut. My question was does this threaded rod (push rod) raise up more into the master cylinder by spinning it or is it set at one height only and the only adjustment is on the clevis for the brake pedal? Is it bad that I was spinning that rod and nut?

redbug
Motorcycle: 1983 Gl1100I
1986 Harley FLHT

Re: Rear Master Cylinder Push Rod

Postby redbug » Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:53 pm

The push rod should have two nuts on the rod,one above and one below the clevis. To adjust the brake pedal loosen both nuts and turn rod in direction needed to raise or lower the pedal. Tighten both nuts to clevis to hold rod in place. Should be good to go.
" Ridin on Tulsa Time "

poppadre

Postby poppadre » Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:29 pm

Hey redbug. Is it the rod that I turn? Or the clevis itself threaded on the rod?

redbug
1986 Harley FLHT

Postby redbug » Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:11 pm

Yes the clevis its self and hold the rod still,or hold the clevis and turn the rod. The top part of the rod that goes into the cylinder is a ball and socket affair and stays in the cylinder. Your adjustment is the rod and clevis. Hope that helps.
" Ridin on Tulsa Time "

poppadre

Postby poppadre » Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:21 pm

Thanks redbug! That saves me trying to fiddle around with the rod thinking there was two points of adjustment. I figured since there is not much breaking force in the back the rod could go in the cylinder more. Could just be the old lines that take away some breaking power

redbug
1986 Harley FLHT

Postby redbug » Thu Jun 30, 2016 5:35 pm

Sure, and while your at it ,flush, refill and bleed that fluid if you already have not done so. Might want to throw on a new set of soft pads and check that caliper to be sure its not leaking or binding for now while you order new steel braided hoses.

" Ridin on Tulsa Time "

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”