RADIO WOE'S

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
cefuhrman
Motorcycle: 1983 gl1100a aspencade

RADIO WOE'S

Postby cefuhrman » Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:59 pm

I HAVE AN 83 ASPY, RADIO COMES ON, I GET NOISE OUT OF SPEAKERS BUT CAN'T CHANGE CHANNELS, STUCK ON 87.9 ALSO CLOCK WORKS FINE WHEN SWITCH IS ON BUT ALLWAYS RETURNS TO 1:00
PULLED SOME THINGS OUT TO SEE IN FAIRING LOOKS LIKE EVERY THING IS HOOKED UP???
SPRAYED SOME OF THE PINS W/ CONTACT CLEANER BUT NOT ALL YET
COULD IT BE TUNER ON THE RIGHT SIDE IS BAD???
ANY IDEAS TO TRY TO RUN THIS DOWN, WOULD LOVE TO HAVE SOME TUNES
ALSO GETTIN SET OF ROAD KING MUFFLERS FOR A SONG ANY PICS TO SHOW BEST WAY TO MODIFY TO HEAD PIPES WOULD HELP
THANK CF

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: RADIO WOE'S

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:30 pm

The clock not keeping time is likely due to a blown fuse - remove the front left turn signal light, and you'll find a rat's nest of wires in there. One of the inline fuse holders holds a small (0.5 amp, if I recall) fuse that is hot all of the time. Replace that and it will fix the problem.

As for the radio not working - it could be a number of causes. Do any of the up/down or station selector buttons work? You might need to contact Sierra Electronics - they are the only people that still fix them.

BRIANINMAINE
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100 standard with Honda fairing, Vetter bags and trunk

Postby BRIANINMAINE » Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:46 am

if you contact sierra, be prepared for the prices- like $100 per piece they examine. If you can't get the buttons to work, you might want to modify and use an aftermarket radio of some kind. Do you have the CB and intercom? Do they work?

I had some Harley pipes on mine for a while and went back to OEM. I think you must weld the pipes together, mine always came loose. I had a pipe shop bend a couple joints for me for about $40, they fit OK, I hated the sound.

rtrawick

Postby rtrawick » Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:20 am

I had very good success with the button issue by opening up the control head and hitting the buttons on the pc board with a blast of WD40. I blew off the excess with clean compressed air (I used canned air for this) and reassembled the control head. Now I can set the clock and change the station. All is not perfect yet as I have very poor reception on the radio, like the antenna is not connected. I have checked to make sure the antenna cables are connected to head unit and they are. Still trying to figure it out!
Rick

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:16 pm

Sierra charges a flat rate of $100 to repair whatever the problem is.

WD-40 is not a good replacement for contact cleaner when cleaning switch contacts. It leaves behind an oily film (designed to prevent corrosion) - but this film attracts dirt and dust, and will eventually cause the switches to stop working again. Contact cleaner properly cleans out the switches, and leaves no residue behind.

cefuhrman
Motorcycle: 1983 gl1100a aspencade

Postby cefuhrman » Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:32 pm

THANK YOU ALL FOR THE TIPS, HAVE NOT HAD ANY TIME TO DIG INTO THIS YET, PAINTING THE WHOLE EXTERIOR OF THE HOUSE IS ON THE TDL WHILE THE WEATHER IS RIGHT !! MAY JUST GO WITH AFTERMARKET RADIO IF IT GIVES ME A PAIN
DID PLAN ON WELDING THE PIPE TO THE HEADER /W A SMALL TRANSITION PIPE , THIS JOB WILL WAIT FOR SNOW TO FLY
THANKS AGAIN, CEF

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”