Timing notch

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
poppadre
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100

Timing notch

Postby poppadre » Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:28 pm

I put the new Gates belts on the 1100 last night. the right side lines up great no question. But on the Left side the notch doesn't seem to line up. It's either a bit above or a bit below the timing mark depending on which tooth I put it in. Is there a number of teeth or something I can go by (like on my GS) to make sure the timing is correct? Pics to follow

Johnyy Smoke
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100
Vetter. "Its like Deja Vu all over again".

Re: Timing notch

Postby Johnyy Smoke » Fri Jul 01, 2016 4:27 am

Both notches have to line up.
Try backing off the valve springs to relieve tension on the cam, this makes it easier, also a 19mm socket will fit in the hole in the gear- and then clamp it down to hold
the gear in place. (kudos to little Beav!) Once held in place you can install the belts, and the marks will stay lined up proper. Regards, Johnny

poppadre
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100

Re: Timing notch

Postby poppadre » Sun Jul 03, 2016 2:14 pm

Well I'm 87% sure I have the timing correct. I just get thrown off at what angle you are supposed to look at the timing mark as it goes out of alignment if you look at it straight down or at a bit of an angle. This is making me think I should do the valve clearances with the timing belt covers off so I can get a better idea of where the marks should be lined up! Hopefully have the bike buttoned up again tonight!

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”