head gasket woes

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
jjunkin1
Motorcycle: 81 Gl1100

head gasket woes

Postby jjunkin1 » Tue Jul 05, 2016 1:02 pm

Let me begin this by saying that I know this is not the correct way to go about this I was just hoping it may hold me off.

Long story short I had the false tank off doing some wiring and said hey I might as well flush the cooling system while I am at it. Took the cap off the reservoir and noticed black oily residue. Rolled a shop towel and stuck it in to see how much oil and there was about a half inch. Took the cap off of the radiator and stuck in shop towel and there was a thin line of oil. I have not drained anything yet so I am insure about the oil being effected. I have not checked the weep holes at water pump for plugs will do this evening.

Question is have any of you used any of the liquid pour in sealants as a temporary fix. I finally talked my wife in to going on a trip and now this. I dont have time before leaving to make repairs.

My other option is to give the system a good flushing and take it for a ride and check fluids when I get back. If it is same or worse will have to park it and take my lil grocery getter.

Johnyy Smoke
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100
Vetter. "Its like Deja Vu all over again".

Re: head gasket woes

Postby Johnyy Smoke » Tue Jul 05, 2016 3:56 pm

Do not use any type of sealant in the water jacket-unless you want the block to be completely ruined.
They only way to fix a blown head gasket is to do the proper repairs.
Do both sides-chances are 6 months later the other side will blow.
It does seem like a rather daunting job, but its not too bad, it can be done in a weekend.
Let us know how it goes- lots of us have had the "pleasure" of doing this job. Regards, Johnny

jjunkin1

Postby jjunkin1 » Tue Jul 05, 2016 6:05 pm

Thanks Johnny smoke. That is what I figured. Looks like she will get parked for awhile and I will take the little 650

jeffcosmo
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 Aspencade

Postby jeffcosmo » Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:47 pm

Head gasket on an 1100 is not a daunting job. Pull the head guards (if applicable), timing belt covers (set timing for reinstall), intake elbows, exhaust, drain the water (and, in your case, oil), pull the valve covers and remove heads. What you do NOT need to remove: Cam (yup, totally can be done with cam in head). Belt guard attached to head. Water elbow. Mufflers (loosen the connection under the bike and remove bolt at passenger footpeg then pivot out of the way). Job took me about 4 hours, and I now know I can do it in 3. Do not forget small bolt under center of head. You may need to remove shelter to add coolant.

Service manual is handy, I wouldn't do this job w/o one.

Cosmo

jjunkin1

Postby jjunkin1 » Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:03 am

Thanks guys. Not the answer I wanted but it is the answer I expected. I believe I caught it early so there should not be any damage. I only get a little puff of white smoke for about 10 seconds after starting and she has never ran hot according to the gague. Only had the fan come on once that I know of.

With all the advise on hear I am not worried about the project just dont have time. When I do it I want all parts on hand and no interruptions.

Lucky for me I have another bike a smaller less comfortable bike but it will do.

Johnyy Smoke

Postby Johnyy Smoke » Thu Jul 07, 2016 4:04 pm

Perhaps not daunting-if you have the experience, and have done one before. Not knowing the posters experience level, it seems a little premature to think he could do it in 4 hours.
Getting the job entirely done in 3 hours is VERY impressive, considering cleaning and polishing the heads, and block. tightening the head bolts correctly, reinstalling the radiator, installing faring. How do you get the top rad hose off without removing the false tank? Curious. Regards, Johnny

ekvh
Motorcycle: 1977 gl1000

Postby ekvh » Thu Jul 07, 2016 4:38 pm

I agree. Rookie me took two days being careful. Could do it in a couple hours now, because I've had practice.

jjunkin1

Postby jjunkin1 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:53 pm

I believe I will allocate a day for the project. Well that is after I pull all plastic and false tank.

The question I have not seen addressed is how do you get all of the oil sludge out of the radiator?

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:23 pm

jjunkin1 wrote:I believe I will allocate a day for the project. Well that is after I pull all plastic and false tank.

The question I have not seen addressed is how do you get all of the oil sludge out of the radiator?

A couple cans of brake cleaner would do the job pretty well. My universal solvent that works on everything!

jjunkin1

Postby jjunkin1 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:18 pm

I lifted bike up on stand and started cleaning everything up as I will replace anything else that is leaking during the headgasket project. I saw in a diagram you did on another post wingadmin about the waterpump and weephole. I do have some oil leakage here. I have also read here where the waterpump is not rebuildable. So I guess a waterpump is in her future as well.

It's a good think I love this bike because I could dang never have bought a newer one for what I have invested.

Johnyy Smoke

Postby Johnyy Smoke » Sat Jul 09, 2016 3:43 pm

Well then, It would seem that you have found your answer. Replacing the water pump should take care of the problem.
You can replace the head gaskets also, a preventative maintenance measure, perhaps, but- if it isn't broke, don't fix it!
There is a great DIY on how to replace the water pump by the webmaster on this site. Makes it quite easy. (Easier I should say :) ). Let us know how it goes. Regards, Johnny

Overdog
Motorcycle: 83 Goldwing Interstate

74 BMW R90/6

Postby Overdog » Sun Jul 10, 2016 6:39 am

The tutorial is great...I replaced the water pump on my 83 with no problems whatsoever. I got my parts here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-1975-1983-Goldwing-OEM-Waterpump-Kit-GL1000-GL1100-with-gaskets-and-seals-/302006801554?hash=item4651021492:g:IdkAAOxyvSVRED9N All genuine Honda parts and gaskets. Everything you need and nothing you don't...great Ebay seller!

jeffcosmo
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 Aspencade

Postby jeffcosmo » Sun Jul 24, 2016 11:10 pm

Johnyy Smoke wrote:Perhaps not daunting-if you have the experience, and have done one before. Not knowing the posters experience level, it seems a little premature to think he could do it in 4 hours.
Getting the job entirely done in 3 hours is VERY impressive, considering cleaning and polishing the heads, and block. tightening the head bolts correctly, reinstalling the radiator, installing faring. How do you get the top rad hose off without removing the false tank? Curious. Regards, Johnny

No worries on the experience, mate. And that figure was for one side, not sure if that was clear. And now there has been an update, as I did NOT follow recommendation to change both gaskets (time constraints, I work two jobs and NEED my bike, as I have no other transport at all). Took a ride to Beaver Dam, WI., one and a half hours away from home, and the right side blew. After studying options, decided to have Mom bring up head gasket (I DID buy both...) scraper, and torque wrench. Did the deed in the police lot, on advice of the police. Bike stalled at 6pm, mom arrived at 9pm, and we started for home at 10:30pm. Home just before midnight. As for cleaning the head surface, a Stanley knife blade as scraper, and a flat **** file to assure flatness have served me for years. As for removal of radiator, um, why?? There IS enough clearance to R&R cam covers without touching the radiator. Tightening head bolts correctly?? There are only six (seven if you count the little guy on the bottom), not much challenge there (try a late Flathead Ford for a challenge). Fairing removal is also not necessary, though engine guard and fairing 'wing' does need removal. Not difficult, five bolts for one, three screws for the other. Shelter also needs removal, as does overflow tank, though, still only five bolts, total.

Now for some 'tips', fresh on the memory: no need to touch cam, it stays put in the head. fuel pump can come off, or lines taken off, your choice, though pump removal eliminates fear of fuel spill. Cam gear stays put, as does inner guard, though 6mm bolt to block does need removal. Shelter front bolts can be removed through forward 'gill', and reinstalled as well, even with a 3/8th drive extension, though 1/4 is easier. Now for a little surprise: removal of head can be done USING THE STOCK TOOL KIT!!! The only addition I made to said tool kit was the addition of one more three inch ratchet extension (for the forward shelter bolts). Installation required a scraper and a torque wrench, those were the ONLY additional tools used on the side of the road.

Bike now has one 200 mile road trip and back and forth to both jobs for a week now, and runs a dream. The slight oil leak that has been a constant companion is also gone (believed to be the lower bolt loosened, or gasket compromised in area).

For those who questioned the "no other transport": I DO ride in the snow (I also cadge rides, I cannot lie, I live in Wisconsin), and can report that you CAN 'lose' the front end and get it back, though when some arsehole passes you on a curve (in a No Passing zone), you will lose it totally from the backwash. Yes, completely insane, and 110% biker.

Cosmo

P.S. I did not swear. B a s t a r d is a proper tool name.

Johnyy Smoke

Postby Johnyy Smoke » Fri Jul 29, 2016 6:14 pm

Kudos to your repair job in a very unsuited situation.
I will give your advice all the attention it deserves. Regards, Johnny

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”