Replaced timing belt now valve tick

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
poppadre
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100

Replaced timing belt now valve tick

Postby poppadre » Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:57 pm

Well I fired up the bike tonight after replacing the timing belts and doing the valve clearances. The valves were extremely tight when I check them. Could this be from changing the belts or a regular of neglect from the previous owner? After setting the valves and starting the bike up I noticed a slight tick on the right hand side. Could this be due to improper timing? The bike seems to run fine and rev good under no load. Is there a way to check to see if the timing is off now that the bikes all together. Or should I just recheck the valves tomorrow once the bike has cooled down again and maybe they set into place. I also noticed a loudish slapping noise at the back of the crank case. Is there a bearing back there I should be conserved about. This is my first wing so not sure what to look for or expect. Thanks!

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Re: Replaced timing belt now valve tick

Postby virgilmobile » Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:55 am

The only way to verify cam timing is to pull the front covers and look at the marks.
Some valve ticking is normal..excessive should be checked.They are set with the engine cold.
Rattling may be greatly reduced with a good carb sync.The clutch does tend to be noisy too.Its normal.

ekvh
Motorcycle: 1977 gl1000

Postby ekvh » Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:56 am

A couple thoughts: It is never going to hurt to double check your work especially that belt UP marks are up and timing marks are very close. There are some pulleys that have two marks on the pulleys. You want the one that protrudes outward, not the one with the indentation.

Also, if you did the work on a lift and lifted it on the exhaust, it's possible to have an exhaust leak by the copper crush gaskets that sounds a lot like a loose valve. Usually they can be retightened and it goes bye bye.

The noise in the back sounds like primary chain slap which is quite common. A simple check is to put it in gear, hold the brake, ease the clutch out to put a little tension on the chain. If the slap goes away, it's nothing serious and can be eliminated with a carb synchronization. If your valves were tight and one or four cylinders' valves weren't getting fully closed and it was synched like that, it would explain the change. The valves are to be adjusted with engine cold, stone cold. If you checked them warm, you need to redo them.

poppadre

Postby poppadre » Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:03 am

Thanks! Great reply guys. I just wanted to follow up with some pictures of the timing belt marks here:

They look pretty good to me, but this is also my first time doing this. The Left one seemed a bit off but this was the best results.

Here is a video of the covers. The tick isn't really heard but the slap is. Image

ekvh: I didn't have it on a lift but I did throw it on top of a log, and I was pushing up and pulling down on the front forks so it could have had some impact on the exhaust. I'll take a look at that tonight. Regarding the slap. I have noticed that that noise goes away when I am riding and in gear. The bike was sitting for about 2 weeks so it was pretty cold when I did the valves :P. Ill double check them tonight after the bikes sat for about 20 hours. The bike was running good but not perfect before I changed the belts so I am assuming it wasn't synced. Hopefully these problems can be fixed tonight after I sync them up.

I wanted to do the idle adjustment screws on the carbs. Is this better to do before or after a sync?

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Postby virgilmobile » Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:25 am

The idle screws are referred to as the "idle down adjustment".It's done the very last step.
Carbs synced,engine warm,fan blowing into the radiator...each one is turned out from preset until a 50rpm drop is detected then turned back in 1 turn(depending on the bike).
Its very hard to hear this change in rpm...a external tach is used.
This is a fine tuning of the idle circuit to get the optimum fuel mixture.
Most who do not have this equipment set it by the books information and call it good enough.
The manual does have a detailed description of the proper way.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:37 pm

Those belts are on correctly, it's line up like it's supposed to be.

Oldbear
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100A Aspencade

Postby Oldbear » Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:00 pm

There is a great "How-to" on carb syncing. Buy or build yourself a carb balancing tool. Its worth it for maintenance and performance.
My wife is the greatest - she won't let me sell my bike - I'm less grumpy when I ride...

poppadre

Postby poppadre » Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:43 am

Thanks guys! Glad to know the belts are on correct haha. I will hopefully get to recheck the valves and then sync the carbs early next week with the gauges I have (for my GS). I'm heading out your way Oldbear for some Stampeding this weekend. But when I get back its grind time. That bikes been sitting too long.

Oldbear
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100A Aspencade

Postby Oldbear » Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:53 pm

Enjoy. I'll avoid Calgary at all cost for the next 10 days. Way too many drug store cowboys and hat with whistles attached for me. I'll watch the Rodeo in my shop with $2 beer rather than $8.

Boy, I do sound like a grumpy old man...

Have fun
My wife is the greatest - she won't let me sell my bike - I'm less grumpy when I ride...

poppadre

Postby poppadre » Wed Jul 13, 2016 1:03 pm

When I lived in Calgary I was all about Stampede, now that I'm back in Winnipeg I am definitely not as into it as I used to be.

Double checked the valves last night, they were a bit big. After buttoning it up the tick definitely quieted down from what I remember. Still a little bit of noise but as ekvh said it is probably the exhaust as I can see a bit of a leak coming from the right side.

Wow what a difference in the idle. No more hanging, and I didn't even sync the carbs yet. Flushed the rad last night. and tonight going to finally sync the carbs and start putting things back together!

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”