Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
Motorcycle: '83 GL1100 w/ CSC Friendship I sidecar, '05 R1200GS

Postby Monsignore » Fri Jul 08, 2016 6:00 pm

Hello Forum,
I'm a new member and new owner of a '83 GL1100 Standard. I just bought it Wednesday. Oh, and it has a CSC Friendship 1 sidecar. It also has a Vetter fairing. I've had a '05 R1200GS for 5 1/2 years, which I love, and will run into the ground.

I have lots of questions.

I've already skimmed the DIY articles, which helped me install the speedo cable that was sitting in the tub.

I want to replace the incandescents with LEDs. Recommended LEDs/seller?

The headlight's bracket holder thingy is shot, so the headlight likes to flop down to shine about 5 feet in front of the tire. Is this an easy fix?

There is no luggage, just a back rack on the tug and the chair. I like the locking luggage on my GS, cuz I lock up my gear when I go to work, and not have to worry about my tool kit walking away. Any locking luggage I should look for?

Eventually, I'd like to add some auxiliary lighting. I'm sure there are threads about this already. Links?

Oh, and I live & commute in NYC.

And this being the innernets, pics, or it didn't happen:

Rear luggage mounting points
Rear luggage mounting points

Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Re: Greetings!

Postby RBGERSON » Sat Jul 09, 2016 7:45 am

It looks like you still have the OEM grab rail/luggage holder if you can find a stock trunk and right side bag they shoudl install no problem..they do have locks and/or the trunk can be taken off like luggage and taken in with you to work...

The headlight can be taken apart/out but it's just a spring on a bolt that holds it up maybe the spring is gone??

Motorcycle: 1997 1500SE

Re: Greetings!

Postby RoadRogue » Sat Jul 09, 2016 11:35 pm

First of all, Welcome to the forum!!!!!.

What you have there is a 83 Interstate , you can see the gl1100I on the ID plate. Looks to be the stock mounts for factory saddle bags too. The rest of the parts can be found in wrecking yards, eBay and even his sites very own for sale section. 8-)
Ride safe, Todd
Over night campers welcome

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”