Broke down in Colorado Springs

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
Motorcycle: 1982 Aspencade

Broke down in Colorado Springs

Postby mnmike » Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:15 am

On 3500 mile trip from Minneapolis to Yellowstone (via Santa Fe NM -LOL)

Day 1: bike ran great. Ran 70MPH 540 miles arrived in Grand Island NE
Day 2: bike started getting very bad mileage, loosing power. Arrived in Colorado Springs (barely)
Each fillip yesterday showed worse MPG, with 22MPG being the last one.
Bike has very little power, but idles fine. Pulled plugs in hotel parking lot.
Right plugs look fine
Left plugs are showing rich.
Guessing fuel or spark issues to left side.
Checked throttle linkages: all carbs are opening when turn throttle
Checked choke linkages: look normal (not loose, missing) and all actuate together

Other ideas to check?

Anyone know of a good shop in / near Colorado Springs who will work on old wings?

Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Re: Broke down in Colorado Springs

Postby virgilmobile » Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:30 am

Too many years sense lived there,sorry.
How's the battery volts?Spark issue can be from low volts.Look at the charging system.3 yellow wires and regulator plug.It doesn't take much power to idle but can fall off when running hard.One side rich leads me to ignition.
One side has both coils running it and unlikely just one side would have a 2 carb problems.
A cheap volt meter would be helpful.
There use to be a couple of bike shops on the south end of Nevada Ave.Not sure if there still there.Ask at any Pawn shop.

Motorcycle: 83 GL1100 I

Postby indianakid » Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:04 am

the ignition system runs the front cylinders (1 and 2) on one coil and the rear cylinders (3 and 4) on the other.

problem with one bank could indicate head gasket or cam timing issues but i am hoping that is not the case.

simple thing to check is the air filter. running through the plain states this time of year could plug up with insects pretty quick. why just the left side seems rich cant be explained by this but a clogged air filter could cause an over rich condition.

also as you climb to higher altitudes the carbs will run richer.

Motorcycle: 1982 Aspencade

Postby mnmike » Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:03 pm

Thanks guys.

I checked out the air filter, it was clean.
The day it began running poorly we had a couple hours with a stiff wind from the south. We were headed West, so the bikes were leaned over pretty good for a long time in 102 degree heat. I wonder if that had something to do with it. I loosened and relighted the screws in the vacuum adjusting holes, as well as the rubber things that connect the carbs to the cylinders. Then I put some sea foam in it, and tapped the carburetors with a hammer. One of those things seems to have cured it because I continued on my trip and completed 3536 miles. I returned home at around 11 this morning.

Other than when I arrived in Colorado Springs, and being very low on power in the mountains, the old girl ran great!

Thanks again,

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”