Sticky Throttle

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
poppadre
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100

Sticky Throttle

Postby poppadre » Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:49 am

Getting near done everything I wanted to on the Goldwing. One of the last things I want to get done is to tackle the sticky throttle cable. I read some posts on here about a spring tensioner but on the carbs that can be adjusted. Is that only for older goldwings? There is a throttle lock on the bike. I am assuming that isn't stock? Maybe that's the culprit. I might try to take the throttle tube off and clean it out and lube the cables. Anyone with experience with this?

Overdog
Motorcycle: 83 Goldwing Interstate

74 BMW R90/6

Re: Sticky Throttle

Postby Overdog » Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:28 pm

The throttle lock on my 83 has a small hex head tension adjustment screw...if you have the same style lock, maybe the screw is so tight that it's dragging even when the lock lever is released. I'd start there. The cables could be routed improperly too...

chrisz
Motorcycle: Honda GL1100 year 1983
Triumph Tiger 1050 year 2008

Postby chrisz » Wed Jul 13, 2016 1:24 pm

I think that replacing all cables is a good project, as these bikes are up there in age (as I am).

poppadre
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100

Postby poppadre » Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:31 am

Thanks Guys! It seems like the throttle lock is the culprit. Or at least plays a bit part in it. I moved it around a bit and the throttle snaps back a lot better. I took the tank off and took a look a the cables. It looks like the a PO had set the mid cable adjuster fully out, which forces me to have the adjuster at the throttle fully in. I have a bit of rotational play in my GS throttle and am used to that but it seems like there is 0 play here. Is this something that I should fix? Could this be reason for the problems I have with syncing the carbs? Is there a diagram that shows the proper routing for the cables?

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”