81GL1100 running funny and knock when warming up (new to 'Wings)

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
shaggybus
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100

81GL1100 running funny and knock when warming up (new to 'Wings)

Postby shaggybus » Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:42 pm

Hi all.

I just got my first Goldwing about 10 days ago. I'm still new to the bike so I'm learning my way around it. I got it in trade for some tools and it's in pretty decent shape. I rode it home about 40 miles from where I got it without any problems other than the brakes dragging a little. I rebuilt the master cylinders and the calipers (thanks to Goldwing Docs great articles) and now it stops on a dime. Today when I went out for a ride it was running a little rough. I'm handy but no mechanic so excuse my rough descriptions. It was running as if it was just starting to get low on gas. That kind of sputtering just a moment before you would switch to reserve although I had a full tank. I was out running a few errands on it and it was running like that the whole time but never got worse or better or stalled. Just some irregular hesitations as I rode accompanied by some light popping and backfiring from the exhaust when downshifting. Just like my gas gaugeless Virago acts when I get low and hit reserve. I've only had the bike for about 200 miles and never had a water-cooled bike before so not sure where to start. Also, there is a bit of a knock coming from the left (drivers side) head when it's warming up. Not sure if it's related but thought I should add all the symptoms. It's not steady, just a couple soft taps on and off as it's warming up and it goes away in a minute or so. The guy I got it from said it did it as long as he had it but I think he flips bikes so I don't know that this was his daily rider for very long. Any suggestions on what to check would be much appreciated. Fuel pump maybe? never had one of those on a bike before. Timing gone off? He showed me receipts for new timing belts he put in but not sure if he set the timing right although it was running fine until today. Thanks!

tylers883
Motorcycle: 81 GL1100

Re: 81GL1100 running funny and knock when warming up (new to 'Wings)

Postby tylers883 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 6:24 am

Welcome to the forums. I got an 81 GL1100 interstate about 5 weeks ago. I'm still learning.
rgds
Tyler

Old Fogey
Motorcycle: 1976 GL1000
1979 GL1000

Postby Old Fogey » Sat Jul 16, 2016 10:56 am

New belts and a knock from the head = red flag on the timing!
Essential to check the valve timing before you ride it anymore. If it is off by one tooth you will probably get away with no bent valves.
More than that, you WILL have bent valves meaning that the head has to come off and the damage assessed.
Image Image

'Impossible' is just a level of difficulty! The only stupid question is the one you didn't ask first!

Overdog
Motorcycle: 83 Goldwing Interstate

74 BMW R90/6

Postby Overdog » Sun Jul 17, 2016 5:32 am

You could pull the plugs and rotate the motor with the alternator bolt...if the valves are contacting the pistons you should be able to feel it. I don't think that's the problem BUT if the new belts weren't tensioned properly, who knows, .....one could have jumped a tooth. My 83 pops a bit...like what you describe, when the carbs need synched...never did it when the engine was fully warmed. As for the first problem, the fuel filter is the first thing I'd check. Have look into the gas tank with a good flashlight & check for rust & crud

shaggybus

Postby shaggybus » Sun Jul 17, 2016 8:58 am

The knock is not constant, just once here and there and goes away after warm up. I'd assumed that if it was something mechanical making contact that it would be consistent and not go away after a minute. Timimg check is still in order though. Thanks

Old Fogey wrote:New belts and a knock from the head = red flag on the timing!
Essential to check the valve timing before you ride it anymore. If it is off by one tooth you will probably get away with no bent valves.
More than that, you WILL have bent valves meaning that the head has to come off and the damage assessed.

tylers883
Motorcycle: 81 GL1100

Postby tylers883 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:20 am

I have an idea that I doubt is your problem but it only takes a few seconds to rule out.

The other day I was getting a low rpm sputter, turned out to be a vacuum in the tank. I remember placing my cap on a bit differently than I usually do and ended up turning it further than it usually requires.

The sputtering went away immediately so I'm not going to overthink whether or not a proper cap should create a vacuum.

Best of wishes to you. I hope you find the problem.

RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Postby RBGERSON » Sun Jul 17, 2016 2:10 pm

first if you know know for sure when the belts were last changed do it...NOW!!!

Reset/check the valves..

Synch the carbs.

popping on deceleration is a sign of bad cutoff(s) in the carbs..on your bike there are four..

Check the how to pages for instructions
HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB

shaggybus

Postby shaggybus » Sun Jul 17, 2016 6:18 pm

Can anyone point me in the direction of some easy to read instructions on how to change timing belts and check/adjust the timing. There doesn't seem to be anything about it in the how to articles and I only found one video on youtube pertaining to the GL1100 that started with things half way done and lots of mechanicese and assumptions that this wasn't my first time setting the timing on a vehicle.

I have never set the timing on anything before and I'm a bit terrified of interference engines since my wife's volvo broke a timing belt and destroyed itself on the highway. I guess I'm a layman and there's some good reason but I don't understand why a timing chain wouldn't be used instead of a belt if that much was at stake if it breaks.

PAPete
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200-A
1982 GL1100-I

Postby PAPete » Sun Jul 17, 2016 6:45 pm

shaggybus wrote:Can anyone point me in the direction of some easy to read instructions on how to change timing belts and check/adjust the timing. There doesn't seem to be anything about it in the how to articles and I only found one video on youtube pertaining to the GL1100 that started with things half way done and lots of mechanicese and assumptions that this wasn't my first time setting the timing on a vehicle.

Here's a link to what I used to replace the belts on my 82 1100 Interstate. Worked for me. FWIW, I found it much easier to remove the radiator first. Good time to replace old hoses while you're at it. It took me a few hours -- over a couple of days -- just because I was a complete klutz with no experience whatever. If I can do it, so can you. Good luck.

Hope this helps.

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/10- ... orial.html
Pete
82 GL1100-I
85 GL 1200-A

shaggybus

Postby shaggybus » Sun Jul 17, 2016 6:52 pm

The sputter is at idle and at all speeds. I got gas the day this started so I'd already opened the tank and it kept doing it. Thanks.
tylers883 wrote:I have an idea that I doubt is your problem but it only takes a few seconds to rule out.

The other day I was getting a low rpm sputter, turned out to be a vacuum in the tank. I remember placing my cap on a bit differently than I usually do and ended up turning it further than it usually requires.

The sputtering went away immediately so I'm not going to overthink whether or not a proper cap should create a vacuum.

Best of wishes to you. I hope you find the problem.

pixel288
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 Aspencade
1982 GS400E Suzuki
2009 CBR 125R HRC colors (daughter's bike)
1982 GL1100 Interstate

Postby pixel288 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:47 pm

Got handed the key for an '82 interstate and was told to "get it out of my garage". It had the same issue as yours, quite a knocking on start up, esp. on the left side.... Got around to setting the valves and then syncing the carbs yesterday. Most of the knock went away once I set the valves. They had been done at least once before as there was the ubiquitous blue silicone on the face of the valve cover gasket, but I think the P.O. (there's been several) that did it set the exhaust and intake settings backwards. Once I got the exhaust a little looser, and tightened the up the intake it ran a LOT smoother. After the sync, it pulls like a freight train. I'd start by checking the cam belts... position and timing, then set the valves .004 on the intake, .005 on the exhaust, and get the carbs synced. That should cure most of the ills, if anything else needs doing, it'll be the carbs.

Let us know how it works out and ask questions. Lots of info and help here on the forum.

Phil :)

shaggybus

Postby shaggybus » Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:04 pm

I appreciate all the advice and I'm going to be working on checking the belts and valve clearances etc later today. All good stuff that would need done anyways. However, none of these things seem like issues that would cause something to come on so sudden. The motor was running pretty smooth since I got it and I literally pulled it in after a ride where it was running fine and then 2 days later when I took it out it was running like it was almost out of gas. The onset of the symptoms was sudden. One day running good, another day running bad. I'm not expecting carbs can unsynch and valves come loose overnight when the bike is off so that's why I was wondering what else I should look for that could cause this to happen from one day to the next.

Also, regarding the knock. It seems like it's being percieved that it's dramatic and constant but it's not. It's a light tap and it only happens maybe a 5 or 10 times randomly and only during the first minute or so of warmup. Then it goes away and doesn't come back. If it was a valve hitting a piston I would expect it to be consistant, regular and not go away. This tap has also been present since I got the bike and the running issue started after about 200 miles so I don't really have a feeling that they are necissarily connected but I wanted to include all symptoms just in case. Any Ideas?

Old Fogey
Motorcycle: 1976 GL1000
1979 GL1000

Postby Old Fogey » Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:25 pm

Yes, until the oil really gets around there is no cushioning. The rockers are the last thing to get oiled and the oiling is somewhat restricted. Have a look at this:
http://www.wingovations.com/rocker-spin ... 4579471094
Image Image

'Impossible' is just a level of difficulty! The only stupid question is the one you didn't ask first!

Johnyy Smoke
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100
Vetter. "Its like Deja Vu all over again".

Postby Johnyy Smoke » Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:56 pm

I did the spindle fix as shown in the link, and it works as said.
If you do go as far as this, you might want to think about lapping the valves also.
It isn't that hard and can make a big difference on how the bike starts and idles, you will have more power and better choke response. It cost me about $15 in supplies. Lots of you tube videos on the subject.
You will have to pull the heads for the valve work, that's another story, again not hard, but it is up to you. Thought I would run it up the flag pole! Regards, Johnny

pixel288
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 Aspencade
1982 GS400E Suzuki
2009 CBR 125R HRC colors (daughter's bike)
1982 GL1100 Interstate

Postby pixel288 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:17 pm

Shaggybus: It was the knock specifically that I was addressing, I missed that the power loss was a sudden thing. Dirt stirred up in the tank that may have plugged the filter, water in the fuel (or tank), or just bad gas. Any of those things could account for the dramatic change. I'd look to the fuel system, start with the simple stuff. Remember that the fuel pump can up and die suddenly too... pull the outlet side off and crank, looking for good flow. If you don't have it, check the cap for vacuum, and check the filter.

Just my nickel's worth.

Phil

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”