Brake caliper support rubbing

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
Monsignore
Motorcycle: '83 GL1100 w/ CSC Friendship I sidecar, '05 R1200GS

Brake caliper support rubbing

Postby Monsignore » Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:23 pm

Last week, I replaced the speedometer drive on my new-to-me '83 GL1100I. Since then, I have heard a rhythmic rubbing noise from the left side of the front wheel. Today, I investigated. It looks like the brake disc is rubbing against the caliper support. If I do not tighten the axle nut thingy, there is no rub. But I'd prefer not to take any chances with the front wheel. A loose axle nut can turn into a runaway axle.
The speedo drive I installed is not the same as the one I replaced. But since the front wheel is pushed a bit to the right, I don't think it's the new drive. Unless the replacement drive is actually narrower than the one it replaced.
I have also noticed a very slight wobble in the front wheel when I spin it by hand; hence, the rhythmic dragging sound vs. a constant dragging. There was no dragging sound before I replaced the speedo drive.

The question I'm slowly getting to is: how do I push the wheel to the leftt enough to prevent it dragging against the caliper support?

Speedo drive on the bike when I bought it on top. Replacement below.

Center of pic, you can see the bit dragging against the disc.

Right side of axle.

"New" speedo drive.

RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Re: Brake caliper support rubbing

Postby RBGERSON » Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:54 am

Looks to be like there are gasp on both sides that shouldn't be there..so you wheel/disks are not centered. I would loosen everything up including the fork pinch bolts.and retighten it all with the wheel off the ground.
HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB

Monsignore

Postby Monsignore » Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:58 pm

RB, I did all that yesterday. This morning, I discovered the rear brake pedal was stuck down. I could pop it up with my toe, but as soon as I pressed it down again, it would stick. Luckily, I discovered this a block from my apartment, so I turned around, parked the rig, and took my GS to work instead.

I think my next day off will consist of me removing and cleaning each brake caliper.

And, it turns out a dude at work, who wrenches on Triumphs & Nortons, and does fabrication work, has a brother who is a MMI and just bought a 'Wing. So I might have an in.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:30 pm

Monsignore wrote:RB, I did all that yesterday. This morning, I discovered the rear brake pedal was stuck down. I could pop it up with my toe, but as soon as I pressed it down again, it would stick. Luckily, I discovered this a block from my apartment, so I turned around, parked the rig, and took my GS to work instead.

I think my next day off will consist of me removing and cleaning each brake caliper.

And, it turns out a dude at work, who wrenches on Triumphs & Nortons, and does fabrication work, has a brother who is a MMI and just bought a 'Wing. So I might have an in.

Usually the brake pedal sticking down is caused by the pedal pivot, not the caliper. Pull the brake pedal off, take off any corrosion on the pivot with some fine sandpaper, pack it with grease, and reinstall.

Monsignore

Postby Monsignore » Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:03 pm

WingAdmin,
Why would that just suddenly happen?
Brake pedal was fine the past two weeks, no sticking or weirdness. Then, the day after I messed with the left-side front caliper, the brake pedal sticks.

Monsignore

Postby Monsignore » Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:02 pm

Poking and prodding has been postponed due to weather. 97*, heat index of 102*. :oops: And I do my work on the street.
Maybe I'll get a strong head lamp and work at night...

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:14 pm

Monsignore wrote:WingAdmin,
Why would that just suddenly happen?
Brake pedal was fine the past two weeks, no sticking or weirdness. Then, the day after I messed with the left-side front caliper, the brake pedal sticks.

Humidity? Heat, humidity, combination of things. In any case, it's a common problem and an easy fix.

Monsignore

Postby Monsignore » Sat Jul 30, 2016 10:30 am

This is proving to be more challenging than I thought. I finally got the cotter pin out, after multiple soakings with WD-40 and letting it sit while I tried, and failed, to stop the left brake caliper mount from rubbing against the disc.
Now, I'm back inside to refill my water bottle and get a hammer to try to force off the brake pedal. Do I ned]ed to disconnect the clutch cable for clearance? Is it supposed to be a 2+ hour job?

redbug
Motorcycle: 1983 Gl1100I
1986 Harley FLHT

Postby redbug » Sat Jul 30, 2016 11:17 am

Easy on the hammer, lets try this first, right hand on the pedal and left hand on the other end where you remove the cotter pin . Press up and down slowly with the right hand and with left hand add a little pull on the pivot end try to work it out. you might have to push in and pull out to get it to break free. you can work around the clutch cable. Another thought. Pair of vice grips clamped onto the shaft end for a little leverage.
" Ridin on Tulsa Time "

Monsignore

Postby Monsignore » Sat Jul 30, 2016 12:57 pm

Success!!!

I think the mini-break I took while typing my previous post helped. I got a little recharge, and the WD-40 had a little more time to soak in. The rubber mallet moved the pedal just enough that I could wedge a screwdriver in the gap between the frame and the outer pivot part thingy. A little more malleting and the thing dislodged just enough that I could work it back and forth by hand, with a fair bit of cursing, of course. I didn't get the pedal off completely, but I was able to expose the internal part enough to wipe up the old grease, hit it with some sand paper, slather on the blue grease, and get it all back on!

The pedal presently pivots pleasantly.

I'll post some pics in a bit, but first, time for a cold shower and a warm beer.

Oh, but the left front caliper bracket is still rubbing against the disk... :cry:

Monsignore

Postby Monsignore » Sat Jul 30, 2016 2:00 pm

How I was eventually able to get the cotter pin out. A lever!

Rusty!

Slathered!

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”