Runs on starting fluid only

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
Bill Melater
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100 standard

Runs on starting fluid only

Postby Bill Melater » Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:19 pm

Ok heres what I got. 1981 GL 1100 was running 4 years ago when parked in my heated garage. I had other projects that needed attention so I just drained the gas from carbs and fuel tank. Finally today I filled the tank with fresh gas, new battery, oil, etc, but it will only start and run for a few seconds if I spray starting fluid down the plenum. I did this several times with choke on and off with same results, it runs for a few seconds then quits. I dont want to wash the cylinder walls down with starting fluid. I opened the plugs at the bottom of the carb float bowls and I have gas at that point in all 4 carbs so I assume the fuel pump is working. Before I yank the carbs off I was wondering if anyone has any other ideas I might try or has run into this problem?

Johnyy Smoke
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100
Vetter. "Its like Deja Vu all over again".

Re: Runs on starting fluid only

Postby Johnyy Smoke » Sat Jul 23, 2016 4:34 am

Try taking off the outlet side of the gas line at the fuel pump and turn the bike over a few times to check your gas flow.
Check fuel filter. It does sound as if it might be starving for gas. See if plugs are wet.
If all is good, See how your spark is, and timing.
Let us know what you find. Regards, Johnny

RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Postby RBGERSON » Sat Jul 23, 2016 7:31 am

plugged idle jets..would be my guess if all the above checks out...you can also hook up a temp gas source to the #3 carb and see if she runs..if so that puts the issue at the pump or further up the line. But I am betting on the idle jets...
HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB

Bill Melater

Postby Bill Melater » Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:14 am

Ok a small update on day 2... I went out and tried starting the bike and after several attempts it fired and surprisingly stayed running as long as I kept it off idle. As soon as the throttle was returned to idle it would quit. Also during running it would backfire occasionally, just a small backfire not the big BOOM type. I also noticed its running hotter on the left side than the right as the left valve cover feels way hotter to the touch than the right and also the header paint on the left pipe was smoking. I think my next move is to take the carbs off and go through them as something is restricting the idle circuit. Well at least I know it runs and the ignition system is ok.

Bill Melater

Postby Bill Melater » Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:50 pm

Carbs are off and apart. Not a lot of crud inside just a bit of gum in the float bowls. I may have been able to just run a tank full of seafoam through them but now they are apart so I will give them a proper cleaning. "O" rings and gaskets look like new. Previous owner told me carbs had been rebuilt by dealer a month before I bought the bike but 4 years of just sitting in my garage didnt do it any good. I will post again after I get them cleaned and back on the bike.

RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Postby RBGERSON » Sat Jul 23, 2016 7:09 pm

81's idle jets are the not screw out type most "rebuilders" don't know how or don't want to remove and clean them. You will need a sheet metal screw of the right size..screw it lightly into the jet and wiggel and pull. DON'T USE ANY SOLVENT TO LOOSEN IT..that will just swell the o ring in there. Be careful not the bugger up the jet opening.

Note they have 4 or 5 side ports which can not be cleaned w/o pulling the jets. You could run a wire/needle of the right size down the jet w/o pulling it but the side ports would not be effected.
HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB

Bill Melater

Postby Bill Melater » Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:09 am

RBGERSON wrote:81's idle jets are the not screw out type most "rebuilders" don't know how or don't want to remove and clean them. You will need a sheet metal screw of the right size..screw it lightly into the jet and wiggel and pull. DON'T USE ANY SOLVENT TO LOOSEN IT..that will just swell the o ring in there. Be careful not the bugger up the jet opening.

Note they have 4 or 5 side ports which can not be cleaned w/o pulling the jets. You could run a wire/needle of the right size down the jet w/o pulling it but the side ports would not be effected.

Ok thanks for the tip I will try that.

indianakid
Motorcycle: 83 GL1100 I

Postby indianakid » Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:16 am

...............??????????????????..........................

"DON'T USE ANY SOLVENT TO LOOSEN IT..that will just swell the o ring in there."

Question....... How many pressed in idle jets have you removed that had o-rings ? what year was the bike? The reason I am asking is all of the early 1100 carbs that I have rebuilt have had metal to metal (brass jet to aluminum carb body) press fit jets. And solvent along with penetrating oil and for some a little heat helped with getting the jets out. I have never come across an o-ring on an idle jet. So if you have I would be interested in learning about it.

Thanks !

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”