Painting carb tops

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
Bill Melater
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100 standard

Painting carb tops

Postby Bill Melater » Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:17 am

Has anyone had any success painting the aluminum carb tops on their Keihin carbs and if so what did you use? The oxidation has gotten under the clear coat and the tops look like crap. I figured while the carbs are apart I would remove the remaining clear coat and paint them. I found a brass wire wheel for my bench grinder and it takes the clear coat right off without harming the aluminum. I'm open to suggestions for painting them.

Maz
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000K1
1976 CB500T
1979 CB750L
1990 Yamaha FJ1200

Re: Painting carb tops

Postby Maz » Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:14 am

Do you really want to paint them? Personally, I find that they look much better if highly polished. If you give them a good coat of wax polish after, or apply an occasional coat of ACF50 and wipe off after, they stay looking good for many months.
If you still want to paint them, they will have to be abraded first, to give a key for a good quality etch-primer, before applying top coats.
Maz
Nostalgia is not what it used to be!

ekvh
Motorcycle: 1977 gl1000

Postby ekvh » Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:17 am

If not scratched too deeply, they polish up shinier than new with a buffing wheel. Regular cleaning and wax and they stay that way. Paint stripper pulls the old clear coat off safer than a wire wheel.

Others gave powder coated them.

Bill Melater
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100 standard

Postby Bill Melater » Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:02 pm

ekvh wrote:If not scratched too deeply, they polish up shinier than new with a buffing wheel. Regular cleaning and wax and they stay that way. Paint stripper pulls the old clear coat off safer than a wire wheel.

Others gave powder coated them.

My carb tops are scuffed, pitted and pretty nasty looking. The bike itself is pretty ratty. I will go through it and correct it mechanically but cosmetically it has seen its best days. What I cant polish will get painted black. At best it will see the road as a stripped down Goldwing.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”