Barrel of Problems HELP!!!

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
ZornVonGott
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100 Goldwing

Barrel of Problems HELP!!!

Postby ZornVonGott » Tue Aug 02, 2016 3:04 am

So my 1980 GL1100 has had more than it's fair share of issues since I bought it a few months ago, from what I am being told it has been sitting for a while from the problems I have Identified and fixed. Now one issue that is frightening me is that she has developed a habit of one bank firing and running (the right) and requiring me to keep the throttle on for a while until the other bank starts firing. She only does this when shes been sitting for maybe an hour or two, but if you turn it off once it runs smooth then it will start right back up no problem. Another problem she is having is that the right exhaust is weaker than the left exhaust. And yet another problem is when I went to sync the carbs the left bank is just fine and can be synced together while the right side has significantly higher vacuum or lower I am not sure, (the needles on the gauges are going counter clockwise the left bank reads around 200 the right reads all over the place much farther than the others) and the right cannot be synced properly (cylinders 1&3). Just replaced the fuel pump and have been syncing my carbs based on how she sounds since the gauges give me a limited Idea of what needs adjusting. From what I can gather I probably have a bad cylinder head gasket on my right bank. Oh and did I mention my stator is dead?! What a guy will put up with for love, and a ride to work. Any help or advice short of lighting the thing on fire please let me know ASAP

RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Re: Barrel of Problems HELP!!!

Postby RBGERSON » Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:24 am

Check for partial hydrolock..gas in the plenum when she sits for a while?? Do you turn the petcock off when you park her?? If not try that if that fixes the problem you have a leaky carb/plenum/float needle..etc. and the gas is running to the left bank while on the side stand...so flooding it???

PS always turn your petcock off when parked..
HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB

wilmo
Motorcycle: 1994 Goldwing SE Blue-the fastest color
2005 Yamaha Majesty 400

Postby wilmo » Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:47 am

and on the other issue, what makes you sure your stator is dead? There is a checklist to verify before drawing that conclusion, unless you've been through it. There are two not so easy ways to resolve it, pull the motor, or quickly learn engineering/fabrication skills. But first verify it is the stator.

ZornVonGott
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100 Goldwing

Postby ZornVonGott » Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:42 am

I am certain the Stator is dead because the battery is not getting any charge, and if I ride on it long enough it will die with no power. Even tried a new battery and still did the same thing. So I have a trickle charger that charges up the battery over night.

As for the other problems I managed to sync my carbs all together so now they are all at the same pressure! :D She has never run so smooth, However the problem of the engine flooding while sitting over night and being a pain in the *** to start is still my #1 problem, even if she sits for a couple of hours she will still take way too much time on the starter to get up and running. Wilmo mentioned a partial "Hydro lock" and a Plenum? If someone could please elaborate on this for me that would be much appreciated!

4wred
Motorcycle: 82 goldwing aspencade
82 aspy turned naked (sold)
89 suzuki gsx 1100F

Postby 4wred » Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:01 am

Hydro-lock is when your cylinders become flooded with gas from float needles or other parts that aren't closing and can possibly cause severe engine damage.If that is your problem you have to yank the carbs and at a minimum clean them out, maybe replace the float needles and seats.You said it is very hard to start after sitting for a while.If your needles aren't seating properly gas can overflow your bowls and get down into the cylinders and flood the cylinders and possibly get past the rings and into the crankcase.Check your oil to make sure you don't have gas in it!! Make sure you turn your petcock to off every time you stop the engine.I still turn mine to off all the time even though I went through my carbs ( cheap insurance).When I park my bike I shut off the petcock and let the engine idle for about 20 or 30 seconds before I shut it down.

ekvh
Motorcycle: 1977 gl1000

Postby ekvh » Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:19 am

I had one that hydro locked now and then. Last summer I bent a rod. If the leaking carb is above a cylinder whose intake is closed, the intake can pool with raw gas. Turn the motor over, the intake opens, cylinder takes a big gulp, all the way down, and when it comes up---- bam. If the other pair of cylinders fired, you have the starter motor and a combustion all ramming the piston up into a wall. Something has to give. Head gasket?

I knew better but had mounted a different tank with no shut off valve.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”