Brain Teaser

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
Gnosistika
Motorcycle: 1980 BMW r65 (retired)
1982 GL1100 (Apple)

Brain Teaser

Postby Gnosistika » Wed Aug 03, 2016 3:27 pm

Hi Guys,

I have a bit of a question... I met another GW enthusiast and he is busy resurrecting his father's '82 interstate. He came around today with the Handle bars and the kill switch unit still attached. I refused to take his start button/kill switch unit apart after he shook it and it sounded like a baby rattle in there. There is also no wiring running from the unit...

So here is my question - Is there any photos of the inside of the afore mentioned unit? I am not in the mood (read scared) to take mine apart and compare the "baby rattle" unit to mine. I have watched the video about servicing the start button/kill switch and though it is hugely helpful, I am having a hard time identifying, from that, what could be rattling around inside the other guy's unit. I remember my old BM R65 start button/kill switch had a few little copper bits inside that had to be aligned. Is the '82 unit the same?

Forgive me if the post is unintelligible, it is late here already.

Thank you

"Of all the the things I have lost, I miss my mind the most"

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Re: Brain Teaser

Postby virgilmobile » Wed Aug 03, 2016 3:50 pm

I wouldn't take it apart either...Especially seeing no wires..They solder on the switch contacts..If they were ripped out it probably broke the switch housing.
And yes there's copper parts and springs in the switches...

mytown
Motorcycle: 1982 Goldwing Interstate

Postby mytown » Thu Aug 04, 2016 3:10 am

I once took pictures of a gl500 start button assembly which is very similar if not identical to the gl1100. Here are a few:
The above show the various parts found inside the button. The button assembly can be pried out of the white casing. You can see the 4 stationary contacts below.
I got lucky. Except for the grease and dirt those little parts would have fallen all over the place. Here you can see where a wire has come loose and where I am trying to repair it.The loose wire basically just fell out upon disassembly.
Here's a link to a more orderly decription of my efforts.http://cx500forum.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=Rebuilding_the_Starting_switch Again, not sure it's exactly the same as the gl1100 but should at the least be close. I think virgilmobile is spot on. It could be that someone just yanked the wires out, destroying the casing that the wires sit in. I would not take one apart unless I had too. The parts are small, some are spring loaded, and if there is any grease involved, the small parts will stick to your fingers, fall to the floor, etc. If you do go in there, do the whole thing over a white towel.

Gnosistika
Motorcycle: 1980 BMW r65 (retired)
1982 GL1100 (Apple)

Postby Gnosistika » Thu Aug 04, 2016 4:17 am

@mytown

Thank you sir. You are a legend. This helps alot!

"Of all the the things I have lost, I miss my mind the most"

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”