Doing fork seal replacement, have one snap ring hanging up....Advice?!

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
thunderwing
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100A Aspencade

Doing fork seal replacement, have one snap ring hanging up....Advice?!

Postby thunderwing » Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:33 pm

I am so close to finishing this job, but one snap ring on the left fork is making a difficult time of it, letting it soak in WD40 overnight, saw some rust in there.

Of the two pins the snap ring pliers go into one side doesn't seem to move out of the perimeter. I've been prying with a small screwdriver on the edge that does come out in hopes that it will come out and I could work around to the side that is stuck. The upper fork tubes are still in the triple trees, I got the right side off and was able to remove the lower fork tube no problem.

If need be I will remove the left fork tube upper and bring the whole thing to the honda dealer to undo the ring for me.....this is the last resort.

I searched the internet and found some results about using dental tools, if you can believe that, with regard to the hook....I gather someone tried to hook one end of the eyelet of the snap ring and tried to move it that way.

I'm open to ideas....taking a 24hr brake to go to work to pay for silly things like food, gas, etc.

Thanks fellas!!!

Scott & Laura
Ride, Ride, Ride!
1983 Aspencade Wineberry/Current Ride
1989 Gl1500 Wineberry/Former Ride-God I miss that machine.....
1983 GL650
1987 Yamaha Radian
Professional Videographer
[vimeo]https://vimeo.com/115373397

RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Re: Doing fork seal replacement, have one snap ring hanging up....Advice?!

Postby RBGERSON » Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:10 pm

Acetone/atf mix 50/50 may loosen it up
HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB

thunderwing

Postby thunderwing » Sat Aug 13, 2016 5:33 pm

Thanks, rather than make myself crazy I pulled the fork tube from the triple tree and am bringing to shop to have them pop the snap ring. I'd rather keep my sanity and shed a few dollars for someone to pop the snap ring. Monday it gets dropped off.

On a side note while I popped the fork tube out my speedometer connection from the front wheel got popped out, so now I need to know where the wires connect, I had put the wheel to the side without removing the connection from the wheel sensor for ease of reinstalling so now i'm paying the price for that short cut.

It's an aspencade so does any one have a picture or reference as to where that connection goes to.....It's 3 wires in a protective black sheath.

I'd like to have a working speedometer when I'm done with the job.
Scott & Laura
Ride, Ride, Ride!
1983 GL650
1987 Yamaha Radian

thunderwing

Postby thunderwing » Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:23 pm

Here's the update, I'm a turtle on this job, but here goes:

Removed the fork tube and brought to the honda shop to do the snap ring for me for hefty sum of $15 after spending 2 hrs trying to remove the stubborn SOB. Worth it.

Now it's the caps for the forks.....Can't get the top caps back on the forks so I can install the 6mm hex drain plugs at the bottom of the forks(spring pressure keeps the internal fork lowers in place with the caps on, so I can get the drain plugs to seat correctly and tighten all the way before filling the tubes with fork fluid).

Soooooooo back to the honda shop, as I decided to just pull both forks out of the triple tree and have them compress the springs on their bench and install the caps, for whatever portion of the hour it takes.....as that's what they charge me on this stuff, it's worth it to me. Just don't have another spare set of hands to help me install the caps.....I used the notched 2x2 piece of wood method and put the cap in the notch and put my weight into it to compress the spring enough to try and get the thread started on the cap and it just wasn't happening. I'm about 200 pounds and have good upper body strength and it was not happening.

So when in doubt.....Sub it out!!!

Once I get the forks reinstalled and reseat the new seals with the PVC slide driver tool, then it's remove the fairing, get behind the counterweight, and fix the speed sensor pigtail.

I've got the feeling this will lead to many winter projects as I got the bug in terms of rebuilding the bike......Hint(Bent clutch fork, No 4th gear....you know what that means......Split the cases.....If anybody has rebuilt their transmission on 1983 aspencade, I'm open to strategies to best do that job. Might as well do this, I've been skipping 4th gear while I ride by and it really has been a pain in the rear. I go that far that means do the water pump, timing belts, fan switch, and head gaskets.......and then do the rebuild the transmission. While I've got the bike benched for the winter season, might as well rebuild the front and rear calipers, etc. You know the drill. LOL!

Best,

Scott
Scott & Laura
Ride, Ride, Ride!
1983 GL650
1987 Yamaha Radian

RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Postby RBGERSON » Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:21 am

Cheaper, easier and usually a better solution buy another motor..any 80 to 83. If you do rebuild you might want to start sourcing bearing shims now..they are hard to find and if you do crack the cases a good thing to check and replace if worn at all.
HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB

thunderwing

Postby thunderwing » Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:57 am

You're right.

Get another motor and transmission, rebuild in the winter on bench and then replace whats on the bike.

Makes sense.

Got the forks back in, brake pads changed out for EBC pads.

Going to pull fairing and take the counterweight off to get to digital speedo pigtail socket and replace the socket with a weatherproof 3 prong replacement being that I yanked the connection out when I dropped the fork tubes out of the triple tree.

Need to bleed the brakes and that ought to be it, ready to drive.

Kept the budget down and didn't replace the springs. I like using the air suspension, as I like the suspension stiff both front and rear.

Getting there step by step.

Thank god for this forum and great advice that's found here. I'm grateful.

Best,

Scott

Scott & Laura
Ride, Ride, Ride!
1983 GL650
1987 Yamaha Radian

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”