GL1100 oil refill - how often do you do it? is it normal?

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
@di
Motorcycle: GL1100 - 1982

GL1100 oil refill - how often do you do it? is it normal?

Postby @di » Fri Aug 12, 2016 1:58 am

Hi all you guys - that's my first post on the forum; till now I was an observer eating the knowladge you served to me - thank you for that, You rock! That is the best forum I've ever been!

Now for my question - I've my GL for some time and I'm struggling with the oil filling up since the beginning.
I'm riding on 10W40 Castrol Power1 SemiSynth oil - after a full fillup or an oil change and riding more or less full tank (200 km; 125 miles) I have to make a fill up of oil - aprox. 100 ml, and I do it on regular basis - I've no leakages outside the bike, no smoke during rides, only sometimes some after start-up for a while (but sometimes - probably depends on my GL's mood to ride :lol: ).

Is it normal?

fyi I even tride to change oil spec - I've done a change for 20W50 Bel-Ray Mineral oil - don't ever do it - after 5 miles I came back to the garage and changed back for 10W40 Castrol (the machine was overheating and engine was working hard). I also tried to change oil because I've some probles with going on neutral when the machine is hot and I stop e.g. at the traffic lights, but it's a different challenge to solve.

Will be gratfull for any feedback from You!

Adrian.

Greatings from Tricity in Poland!

ekvh
Motorcycle: 1977 gl1000

Re: GL1100 oil refill - how often do you do it? is it normal?

Postby ekvh » Fri Aug 12, 2016 6:25 am

The full mark is quite subjective on the Wing and many of us have found, not filling above the halfway mark results in little oil consumption. Mine have all gone oil change to oil change this way. If filled to the top, many of us notice it consumes 1/2 quart in 500 miles.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:43 am

It's not normal, you should never have to refill the oil - it's a closed system.

So it's either leaking, or being burned. If you had that much oil leaking, you would have a real mess, so it has to be that it's being burned.

Check the insides of your exhaust pipes. Are they oily?

I would also check the compression of all four cylinders.

@di

Postby @di » Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:53 am

Thanks.

Oil is not leaking - that's for sure, so it's getting burned.

I still have the orginal exchaust - but for sure I'll have to replace it in future, it's rusty and full of smoke but I have not seen any oil in there.

Maybe the smoke that is sometimes visible when I turn on the machine when it's hot is connected with that? The smoke is rather white and dissapeares after a minute or after I start going on the bike. I have it only when the bike is hot.

I've checked the compression lately - It was more or less the same on each cilinder = 150 psig on each, there was a +- 2 psig diference between the cylinders...

Adrian.

@di

Postby @di » Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:59 am

ekvh wrote:If filled to the top, many of us notice it consumes 1/2 quart in 500 miles.

So it seams like in my case - 100 ml for 100 miles, hmm seams I do not have to worry that much...

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”