Starter Help!

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
Bigray1263
Motorcycle: Goldwing 1200. 95-97
Goldwing 1100. 14-

Starter Help!

Postby Bigray1263 » Sun Aug 14, 2016 2:30 pm

i installed a new starter and a new starter motor early summer and back at it again. I have a dead short going to the bolt that comes out the side of the motor. I have the pos wire from the starter and it's just blowing 30 amp fuse. Seems like would be grounded going thru case. Do I have something wrong or do I have a bad starter.

David2953
Motorcycle: 82 Honda

Re: Starter Help!

Postby David2953 » Sun Aug 14, 2016 3:16 pm

The wire should have battery voltage on it when you press the start button with the key on, otherwise it should be dead, but not grounded.

Bigray1263
Goldwing 1100. 14-

Postby Bigray1263 » Sun Aug 14, 2016 4:15 pm

I guess I must have gotten a bad starter because it is grounded. That's why I hate eBay, it's turned into a place for people to sell broken and defective items.

David2953

Postby David2953 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:40 pm

The wire going TO the starter is what I was talking about, not the starter. The bolt connection on the starter would have low resistance and may look like it is shorted. What happens when you connect battery positive to the starter bolt directly (you need a heavy cable to do this)? The motor should spin.

RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Postby RBGERSON » Tue Aug 16, 2016 3:07 am

when you tighten the battery cable to the starter stud..if it turned at all the stud that is..you may have torn the connection and now it's a dead short inside the starter. You have to have a wrench on the bottom nut to hold the stud in place when you tighten down the cable to the starter.
HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB

David2953

Postby David2953 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:58 am

That's a good point and I've seen that happen before. I made a special thin 10mm wrench to hold that nut with. I took one starter apart and fixed the bent and broken connections inside and the starter worked fine again. It would not blow the main fuse, though. The main fuse does not supply power to the starter, it powers the solenoid and the solenoid carries the heavy amperage for the starter.

RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Postby RBGERSON » Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:09 am

If the contact was broken AND shorted to the starter case then it will blow fuses..like shorting across the battery when the starter button is pushed.

Did you test the starter before you installed it..?
HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB

David2953

Postby David2953 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:07 am

I am sorry, sir, but you are wrong about the fuse. A normal starter will draw over 100 amps starting the engine and the 30 amp main fuse does not blow because it is not carrying the current, the solenoid contacts carry the current. The solenoid isolates the start button circuit from the starter circuit. Something else must be blowing the fuse. That doesn't mean the starter is not bad, you have to test it and see.

All you need is a set of jumper cables. Connect negative to the starter body or some heavy part it is attached to. Not in a spot that shows, because this could cause arcing and damage a surface. Put the nut on the copper bolt and touch it with the positive and it should jog the motor. Be ready for sparks and possible sticking of the cable clamp to the bolt due to arcing. This could draw over 200 amps if the starter is shorted.

thrasherg
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800, 2005 Honda Shadow 750, 2008 Yamaha R6 with RG500 engine, CRF450X, CRF230, CRF250X, XR200, CR500

Postby thrasherg » Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:24 am

As everyone here has stated, you have misunderstood the electrical system on your bike. The 30 amp fuse that is blowing only feeds the starter solenoid, NOT the starter motor. The starter motor takes a lot more than 30 amps!! The connection on the side of the starter motor could be shorted to negative, but even if the starer motor is working correctly, it will always look like a short circuit because there is very little resistance between that bolt and the negative connection. The only way to really test the starter motor, is to take a jump lead directly from the positive terminal of the battery and touch it directly to the bolt on the side of the starter motor, if the starter motor spins, chances are it's fine, if the motor does NOT turn, then you probably have a short inside (as mentioned, probably the bolt rotated when you tightened the nut and broke the connection inside the starter motor).
If when you push the start button the 30 amp fuse is blowing, then you have a fault with the starter motor circuitry but NOT the starer motor itself. It could be a defective starter relay, or a short somewhere inside the wiring loom from the start button to the starer relay. For that you will have to do some more detective work on the wiring loom. I Think the problem is not with your starter motor, but would suggest you take a jump lead and touch the bolt on the side of the starter motor to confirm it spins, then you can rule out the starter motor and try finding the electrical short between the battery and the starter relay!! As mentioned if it only blows the fuse when you press the start button on the handlebar, then it is either a short in the wiring loom from the start switch to the starter relay, or a bad starer relay!! Hopefully you can check both.

Regards Gary

Bigray1263
Goldwing 1100. 14-

Postby Bigray1263 » Sun Aug 28, 2016 12:24 pm

Didn't realize with starter would read to ground, I am a hvac guy. Also, looked at wiring diagram and starter I had wasn't plug and play, so just ordered new one on line. Bike cranks now and starts, not to get the single carb conversion right! :shock:

stevenstrack
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100I

Postby stevenstrack » Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:18 pm

Not to hijack your thread but I'm having problem starting as well. Not sure if my battery that I bought in June is defective (bought from Auto Zone), or maybe I fried something again :oops: I don't believe my starter is an issue, I was able to crank starter with direct Charge from battery to terminal lug on the starter. Battery loses voltage very quickly, I tried using my Jeep battery jumping through the Auto Zone battery and heard a pop (not a click) come from the relay, 30 amp fuse did not blow, also this is a brand new relay that I installed last night. Starter is Taiwan 2years old. Really don't know why jumping from auto battery that I don't get any current to turn the starter. I am getting lights/power to instruments, what am I missing or where's hold I focus my troubleshooting. I'm not an electrician but have a meter and would like to figure this out. I need to get it running ASAP, trying to sell it to help fund some upgrades to my Jeep. Getting to the point of just asking 1K for it.

To be clear, bike tried to start the first time today after I had installed the relay last night, however the battery quickly discharged down to like 7.3 volts. After this is when I tried a cold jump off my car battery and heard the relay pop? Checked the battery again and it was only reading 9.7 volts. I don't know if it is worth putting on the tender thinking it may be bad.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”