Fork Seals

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
romanfj
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100I

Fork Seals

Postby romanfj » Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:11 am

Well, after fixing that little timing belt issue, I rebuilt the rear shocks and replaced the front tire successfully, then moved on to the final planned repair: Fork seals.

It has gone well up to the final step of reassembly. I have the seals and washers rammed/bumped down as far as I can get them to go by hand using the split PVC pipe tool shown in the how-to. However, the seals aren't pushed down quite far enough to get the circlip back in.

Maybe I'm not strong enough to ram the lower forks up?

Would it be a disastrous mistake to leave the clamped pipe in place on both forks and drop the bike off the center stand as gently as possible, allowing the weight of the bike to push the seals down for me? Has anyone tried doing this?

Thank you.

Current 1983 GL1100I
Current 1982 GL1100I/1983 Apencade hybrid (all body pieces are from the '83 A'cade), first Wing
Former CM900
Former CB400
Former Suzuki Savage

tfdeputydawg
Motorcycle: 06 Wing III/2010 Hannigan

Re: Fork Seals

Postby tfdeputydawg » Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:16 am

Dumb question, I'm sure but, are you sure you have the correct seals?
Not sure what you mean by "clamped pipe"????
I use a metal tool made for driving fork seals and a hand operated press.

romanfj
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100I

Postby romanfj » Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:45 am

I believe the seals are correct.

As for the pipe, the how-to on this site mentions to split a 1-1/2' PVC section and clamp it in place on the upper fork. Then, pushing the lower forks up against the bottom of the pipe section which is clamped will result in the seals being pushed down into the lower fork tube.

Problem is, my seals have been pushed in, just not quite far enough.
Current 1983 GL1100I
Current 1982 GL1100I/1983 Apencade hybrid (all body pieces are from the '83 A'cade), first Wing
Former CM900
Former CB400
Former Suzuki Savage

keithg64
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 Pearl Coranado Blue

Postby keithg64 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 12:07 pm

You may have to rap on it with a plastic or rubber hammer to seat the seal down. Don't use a metal hammer you can ding the fork tubes.
It's not what you buy, it's what you build.

thrasherg
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800, 2005 Honda Shadow 750, 2008 Yamaha R6 with RG500 engine, CRF450X, CRF230, CRF250X, XR200, CR500

Postby thrasherg » Tue Aug 16, 2016 2:11 pm

I would be concerned that if the front end collapses enough for the the yoke to hit your PVC pipe (and drive the seals in) that you will never be able to get the bike back onto the center stand as it will be sitting too low to get back on the stand!! As mentioned I would be looking to hit the end of the split PVC pipes with a soft mallet/hammer to try and drive the seals in further (before you fit them to the bike).. I suspect trying to use the weight of the bike to drive the seals in will only result in giving you a hernia and a dropped bike!! :lol:

I have never had an issue getting the seals in so don't know what else to suggest! :o

Gary

harvey01
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800

Postby harvey01 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 3:57 pm

romanfj wrote:Well, after fixing that little timing belt issue, I rebuilt the rear shocks and replaced the front tire successfully, then moved on to the final planned repair: Fork seals.

It has gone well up to the final step of reassembly. I have the seals and washers rammed/bumped down as far as I can get them to go by hand using the split PVC pipe tool shown in the how-to. However, the seals aren't pushed down quite far enough to get the circlip back in.

Maybe I'm not strong enough to ram the lower forks up?

Would it be a disastrous mistake to leave the clamped pipe in place on both forks and drop the bike off the center stand as gently as possible, allowing the weight of the bike to push the seals down for me? Has anyone tried doing this?

Thank you.

I definitely would not try to use the weight of the bike to push the fork seals any tighter. I am assuming you still have the forks attached to the bike. I have found it much easier to do with the forks off the bike in a vise. However if those seals are not fitting correctly my first thought is are they oem Honda or some after market. Honda seals have always worked the best for me. I use a piece of PVC pipe just a little larger in diameter that the top fork tube to push/tap the seals into place.
harvey
Ride Safe and Ride Often

Paulcf
Motorcycle: 2003 GL1800 Massively Heavy Luxury Touring

Postby Paulcf » Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:25 pm

I did complete rebuild of my front end in April. It was a step by step process but very rewarding in the end. I had trouble with the oil seals also. I paused and thought it over. I then ensured there was oil on the slider and fork (they were OFF the bike, much easier to work on). I then cut a small piece of hardwood and used it to go around the perimeter of the fork tube to gently tap the seal down, with a rubber mallet (mandatory!).Tap, tap, tap. It went in and then the circle clip goes in easily. Any fragments/shavings of wood from the tapping piece I carefully removed and cleaned out the recess before the clip went in.

My bushings were severely worn out and there was minimal black fork "oil" in the tubes. The resulting ride was amazing to me and I wonder why I didn't do this a year or 2 previously!

Note: rubber mallet essential or all bets off. Use a wood piece held gently/slightly apart from the fork tube and tap on it with your rubber mallet, tap, tap, tap slowly, and with the tube in between your legs, sitting on old rags, slowly go around till it is in solid (you will feel the difference when you tap). I prefer this vs. the Honda tool/part or PVC pipe. I can see it incrementally going down and then feel when it is set. Good luck!
MOBILIS IN MOBILI

thunderwing
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100A Aspencade

Postby thunderwing » Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:52 pm

Put the bike on the center stand, stack chopped 12-16 inch sections of 2x8's underneath the motor and drive some wood shims in to tighten up the base of wood. Drop the front wheel, take off the fender, fork brace, calipers, and then drop the fork tubes from the triple tree. Take a 2-3ft section of 1 and 1/2 inch pvc pipe and put it over the seal, put a chunk of 2x4 over the top part of pipe and drive the seal home.....This is what I did 2 weeks ago. It's easier to put the snap rings back in as well since you can clearly move the tube around to manipulate a screwdriver to seat the snap ring.

Don't be afraid to seat the seal, it takes some force to seat it correctly.

Best,

Scott
Scott & Laura
Ride, Ride, Ride!
1983 Aspencade Wineberry/Current Ride
1989 Gl1500 Wineberry/Former Ride-God I miss that machine.....
1983 GL650
1987 Yamaha Radian
Professional Videographer
[vimeo]https://vimeo.com/115373397

vaughn
Motorcycle: 1983 Gl 1100 Aspencade

Postby vaughn » Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:40 pm

I used OEM Honda for the seals. I did mine off the bike. Didn't have any trouble seating the seals, but getting proper circlip pliers and getting cap back on with tube back in the triple tree. Because of air fitting it won't go up through triple tree with cap on. Tried that. I need to get new Progressive springs before next year.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”