1983 GL1100 Rear Master Cylinder Leak?

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
tbeach23
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100I Interstate

1983 GL1100 Rear Master Cylinder Leak?

Postby tbeach23 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:00 pm

It appeared that I had a leaky rear master cylinder on my 83 GL1100. There was a puddle on the floor, and the reservoir was empty. I filled the reservoir again and let it sit just to see what happened. Next morning, there was another puddle and an empty reservoir. I took everything off and inspected/cleaned the rear master cylinder. There appears to be no reason that it should be leaking and I'm hesitant to try a rebuild kit. The rubber all looks and feels great and the piston is a tight fit in the cylinder. Last night, I put everything back together, filled the reservoir, but had to quit before bleeding the brakes and finishing up. Before bed, I noticed a puddle starting to form on the floor again! Today, I went out to check and the puddle had clearly been drying for some time and was not dripping anymore. What's weird is that the reservoir was still full to the brim. I bled the brakes, cleaned everything up and I can see that I've got a drip coming right off of the master cylinder. I am pretty stumped here. Is there something I'm missing?
Attachments

redbug
Motorcycle: 1983 Gl1100I
1986 Harley FLHT

Re: 1983 GL1100 Rear Master Cylinder Leak?

Postby redbug » Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:29 pm

Ok since you cleaned up everything and you still have a leak, where exactly is the leak coming from? Maybe up around the cylinder fittings, or out the bottom of the cylinder down the push rod? How about the hose that comes from the master cylinder? Brake cylinder rubber will loose elasticity and it could be a static leak. Possible rust spot in cylinder. Check it over let us know. Might think about a rebuild on the cylinder then you know what you have even if it all looks good.
" Ridin on Tulsa Time "

tbeach23

Postby tbeach23 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:56 pm

Thanks. Probably will end up trying a rebuild kit next. From what I can tell, it's just coming right down the pushrod. Looking at it now, there's no rust in the cylinder. There was a bit of gunk in the bottom, but I've cleaned that out. I'll update if I get something figured out. Any other advice is appreciated.

tbeach23

Postby tbeach23 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:56 pm

Alright, I raided my wife's sewing kit for a pin which I used to make sure the outflow hole at the base of the cylinder was clear. I reamed the supply hole as well and cleaned out as much of the residue at the base of the cylinder as I could. I gave it a thorough blasting with the air compressor and put everything back together. I bled the brakes (right front first, then rear) and found that I had much better pedal pressure than previously. Got the wheel turning and that seemed to stop well. Next step was a test ride. Just got back in the house from that and it certainly was nice to have the bike out after seeing it sit sadly for so long in the garage. Everything appears to be back in order, but I'll be keeping a close eye out for any drips.

redbug
Motorcycle: 1983 Gl1100I
1986 Harley FLHT

Postby redbug » Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:36 pm

Well sure took your time getting it all back together and stopping. Congratulations hours of riding enjoyment await you. Always park in a dry spot, later hope you have spot not.

" Ridin on Tulsa Time "

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”