1983 GL1100I. Rear shock mounting stud backed out of final drive

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
nickmotor
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100I

1983 GL1100I. Rear shock mounting stud backed out of final drive

Postby nickmotor » Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:10 pm

Any see this before? The rear shock mounting stud back out of the final drive and remained attached to the shock. No place to get some leverage to get the nut off. Going to get some red locktite and put it back in and hope for the best in 24 hours.
Attachments

nickmotor

Re: 1983 GL1100I. Rear shock mounting stud backed out of final drive

Postby nickmotor » Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:43 am

Locktite red didn't hold it in. Rather surprised by this, I thought locktite red should have done the trick. It still back out when attempting to remove the acorn nut on the shock. Probably could have done more surface prep work. Good think is that it didn't destroy the threads on removal, came out cleanly, left all the surfaces bright and shiny.

Will have to cut and grind... Here is what worked. Pictures attached.

1). Cut a slot, about 0.10 inch/ 4mm, in the bottom of the stud using an angle grinder. Angle grinders are pretty useful - they can be found for $30 on sale and there are other DIY projects that it will come in handy for.
2). Got a hardened steel washer of the same thickness. I tried the thinner cut and cheaper washer and it simply bent.
3). Place washer in a vice and positioned the shock and 14mm socket wrench to get the leverage needed.
4). Applied pressure - acorn nut freed up.

The stud still screws in and out but the threads on the rear drive (aluminum) have taken a beating. I'm going to use J-B Weld to keep it in there once and for all. I noticed a residue of another locking compound that was on the stud. It was a yellow/tan in color thinking that mother Honda applied this (poorly perhaps because it did come lose) in the manufacturing process.
Attachments
Used an angle grinder. Take your time - you don't want to slip and mess up the threads.  Use eye protection.
Used an angle grinder. Take your time - you don't want to slip and mess up the threads. Use eye protection.
Less that $1 the hardware store. ~0.1inch in thickness and hardened.
Less that $1 the hardware store. ~0.1inch in thickness and hardened.
You have to balance it out and apply pressure. Shock in left hand. Socket in right.
You have to balance it out and apply pressure. Shock in left hand. Socket in right.
One really messed up lower rubber bushing.
One really messed up lower rubber bushing.

nickmotor

Postby nickmotor » Sun Aug 28, 2016 11:36 am

Continued... Had a moment to place rear shock lower shock stud back in the final drive. Cleaned the threads inside and out side with some brake cleaner, blew it out with compressed air, and then let it sit/dry for while. Later mixed up some JB Weld covered the threads on the stud and dumped some in the final drive hole where the stud screws into as well. Screwed in the stud. I felt the stud come in contact with the base of the threaded hole in the final drive when tightening - it was a solid stop. Decided to not use use a lot of torque, seems like it would be easy to strip the threads if you were to crank on it. I'll let the JB Weld do the work. Going to let it cure for a couple of days.

I placed a couple of the washers under the acorn nut to keep it from bottoming out on the threads when tightening. You can see them in the picture.

Going to let it sit for a couple of days and let JB weld do its thing. Hopefully, when i remove the acorn nut, the entire stud will not back out.

Next: Follow some of the excellent articles provided on this site and replace the oil seals on the shocks.

Thank you and best regards
Attachments
JB Weld should do it.
JB Weld should do it.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:38 pm

Do let us know if JB Weld holds it - you just better hope you never break that stud and need to replace it! :o

nickmotor

Postby nickmotor » Thu Nov 24, 2016 11:07 am

LOL - new at this kind of stuff (mechanical repair). Hindsight says there was likely a better (simpler) way to have done this. Thinking a smarter way would have been to split the nut...

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”