Rear shocks fixing?

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
processing
Motorcycle: Godlwing 1100 1980

Rear shocks fixing?

Postby processing » Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:50 am

Hello everyone. My rear shocks are bad. Rear tire has "bumps" in the thread. Can I fix them or need to buy new ones? I have the old ones - not air ride. Can I like add oil to it or something?

These are the best pics i got...

Thanks
Peter
Attachments

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Re: Rear shocks fixing?

Postby themainviking » Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:41 am

I cannot help with the shocks, but the tire? If the belts have separated and given you 'bumps' in the tread around the tire, it will need to be replaced. If the bumps are simply scalloping in the rubber on the outside of the tire, you could try more air in the tire up to as much as is written on the sidewall of the tire. This could allow the scallops to wear off and the tire to give you more life. Now, keep in mind, if the date code on the tire shows it is more than four years old, just replace it, as trying to fix it could be dangerous.

Now to the shocks. As far as fixing them, I do not know anything, however if they really are bad, you might replace them.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:44 am

I believe all gl1100s came with air so anything with out air is not stock. Impossible for us to say for sure if they are rebuild-able. Generally spring over shocks have a sealed piston. I would say you need to go with new. Good luck.
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

CrystalPistol
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200A
1997 GL1500SE Lehman Trike

Postby CrystalPistol » Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:00 am

What you are seeing on the tire tread may have nothing to do with the shocks ..... some tires by nature of tread design and construction coupled with wrong inflation pressures will start cupping or bumping pattern ..... and once started, it often only either stays same at best ..... or get's worse. Once started, there is rubber missing in the low spots and the tread design never changes so even if you catch it and correct the inflation, the other things that lead to the pattern cupping are still there and do not promote rubber growth in the low places.

The picture shows aftermarket coil over shocks, Progressive marketed them as an alternative to their 416 series air / coil over shocks. Not saying those are Progressives, just sayin' ......... 8-)

processing
Motorcycle: Godlwing 1100 1980

Postby processing » Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:41 am

Thank you all.. Kind of a good news i guess. ....

peter

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”