Won't start

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
romanfj
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100I

Won't start

Postby romanfj » Sun Aug 21, 2016 1:29 pm

After moving to the front half of the bike and finally finishing the fork seals and new front tire, I thought my phoenix was finally going to be able to rise from the ashes! :mrgreen:

Not. :twisted:

Now the darn thing won't start. Ran fine yesterday, won't start today.

Twice now, the ignition switch has refused to start the bike and /or it has allowed the bike run without a key in it, so I figure I need to replace the ig switch. No brainer there.

However, in the interim, I was hoping to jump the starter relay posts with a screwdriver and finally get it on the road.

Unfortunately for me, while this cranks the engine over just fine, the bike doesn't start.

Can anyone tell me why this doesn't work? I've used this shortcut on cars before...

Thanks,
Frank

Current 1983 GL1100I
Current 1982 GL1100I/1983 Apencade hybrid (all body pieces are from the '83 A'cade), first Wing
Former CM900
Former CB400
Former Suzuki Savage

JMCarl
Motorcycle: 1989 GL1500

Re: Won't start

Postby JMCarl » Sun Aug 21, 2016 11:00 pm

Finding the same thing going on on my 89. Cranks but no fire. I have found no 12 volts at the fuel pump, but cannot find a fuel pump fuse anywhere. I would check that circuit, its not terribly hard to reach, under the seat.

Maz
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000K1
1976 CB500T
1979 CB750L
1990 Yamaha FJ1200

Re: Won't start

Postby Maz » Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:59 am

romanfj wrote:After moving to the front half of the bike and finally finishing the fork seals and new front tire, I thought my phoenix was finally going to be able to rise from the ashes! :mrgreen:

Not. :twisted:

Now the darn thing won't start. Ran fine yesterday, won't start today.

Twice now, the ignition switch has refused to start the bike and /or it has allowed the bike run without a key in it, so I figure I need to replace the ig switch. No brainer there.

However, in the interim, I was hoping to jump the starter relay posts with a screwdriver and finally get it on the road.

Unfortunately for me, while this cranks the engine over just fine, the bike doesn't start.

Can anyone tell me why this doesn't work? I've used this shortcut on cars before...

Thanks,
Frank

Jumping the relay posts only feeds power to the starter. You still need to power the other circuits controlled via the key/ignition switch. If your switch is faulty, you will have to either replace it or, for testing, make up some jumpers to connect across the ignition switch plug to connect the circuits usually controlled by the switch.

Maz
Nostalgia is not what it used to be!

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”