Bike won't start

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100I

Bike won't start

Postby stevenstrack » Tue Aug 30, 2016 5:01 pm

I have been having trouble getting my 83 to start, I think I may have just fried another relay after using my jeep battery to try and jump it as my battery quickly lost voltage after trying to start it. I should have checked the voltage to the starter before I tried to crank it but I thought my issue was resolved after buying a new relay from Mister Electrical. The starter I believe is good, I had taken it apart and cleaned it checked the brushes and reinstalled it a couple days ago. I used my battery to turn the starter over by running a separate wire straight to the terminal lug bypassing the relay so that's why I bought and installed a new relay.
In a rush this evening I tried to start it and like I say the battery quickly depleted to 7 volts but now is reading about 9.4 volts. I have lights on instruments but obviously weak horn with low battery. The starter does not bump at all now, initially it was trying to start. Not getting any clicking noise from the relay. When I tried to jump from my jeep battery I heard a pop from the relay, the 30amp fuse did not blow. I hooked relay as indicated and it did initially start to crank before the battery lost its juice. The battery is new as well, I could put it back on the tender and get it back up to 10-11 volts. I don't know what else to do, any suggestions? I was really hoping to get this bike running, trying to sell it for $1500 but don't have much more cash to spend on it. Help!!!

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”