Out of storage

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
diverobin
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100 Interstate

Out of storage

Postby diverobin » Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:58 am

Hi all,
Earlier this year my 1981 GL100I (28000 miles only) and I rode from Miami via Key West to New Orleans. Soon I will be back and intend to carry on around the Gulf coast, maybe as far as Belize. Meanwhile Goldie has been sitting at a vintage bike garage in New Orleans. I am sure the guys there know their stuff generally, but is there anything in particular I should ask them to check when they get the bike down from storage before I arrive? (She will have been sitting for 6 or 7 months.) Thanks!
BTW I am not travelling alone. My gf has a Suzuki GZ250, her first bike.

If you reach the age of fifty years and you have not yet grown up, you don't have to. :lol:

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Re: Out of storage

Postby redial » Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:29 pm

Like any machine that has been sitting a while, I would be replacing the fluids, fuel, and make sure battery is charged. Tyre pressures will be down so they will need re-pressurizing, and an examination for cuts, splits, and any other damage/wear. As you would have changed the brake fluids as part of the first step, make sure the brakes work well, especially when they are hot.

Check ridability, steering, and general handling. Are all the electrics working, and lights glowing?

That would be my first check list, not knowing what has been done with the servicing, this may lead to other things, eg belts. Keep a log of the things that have been done, the parts that have been replaced, and the prices for parts and labour.

Have a happy ride.
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

diverobin

Postby diverobin » Sun Sep 11, 2016 1:23 am

Hi Redial
Thanks for the advice, I hadn't thought of the brake fluid.
Take it easy
If you reach the age of fifty years and you have not yet grown up, you don't have to. :lol:

RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Postby RBGERSON » Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:56 am

Before you start it you might want to squirt a little oil or MMO into the cylinders. Before actually changing the oil you may want to add a little sea foam or MMO even diesel..ride it around easy a bit to get the engine hot and the oil circulating..then drain will help get more of the sludge out. Drain old gas refill will appropriate sea foam and gas for the next tank or two..to clean out the carbs.
HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB

diverobin

Postby diverobin » Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:09 am

Interesting, thank you RBGerson. I will certainly use some sea foam or similar. She was running a tiny bit rough in January, so I tried a fuel additive and she smoothed out a treat.

Cheers

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”