Procedure for pulling motor and transmission request

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
thunderwing
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100A Aspencade

Procedure for pulling motor and transmission request

Postby thunderwing » Sat Sep 03, 2016 6:11 pm

I would like to purchase a used motor and transmission, preferably from a 1983 goldwing, and rebuild both on the bench, replace water pump, timing belts, all seals, potentially put performance exhaust on(like stock, but a few more horsepower wouldn't hurt), open up transmission check shifting forks if unknown history, etc.

Once rebuild is done on purchased motor, I would like to pull my motor and transmission and replace with the motor and transmission that I rebuilt.

The reason is:

I don't have a 4th gear due to P/O having installed heel and toe shifter that bent the 4th gear shifting fork.....I can't stand heel and toe shifters for this very reason. I resurrected this 1983 aspencade from the dead as I purchased it for a really cheap price and had the carbs rebuilt with OEM honda parts and synced, rebuilt the fork seals and did front brakes. It's come a long way, but I find myself really wanting to have 4th gear again, I drive the bike by taking 3rd gear to the high end of 55mph and knocking my heel down 2x when shifting to get bike into 5th, pain in the rear, but you learn when you have no other option. So I'm interested in doing this over the winter.

Can anyone recommend a cherry picker(engine lift) to take out the motor, a bike bench lift that is air powered at a good price, an engine stand.

I don't want to rush this when I do this, and I want to clean up the bike while I have the motor out to detail it out.

Scott & Laura
Ride, Ride, Ride!
1983 Aspencade Wineberry/Current Ride
1989 Gl1500 Wineberry/Former Ride-God I miss that machine.....
1983 GL650
1987 Yamaha Radian
Professional Videographer
[vimeo]https://vimeo.com/115373397

thunderwing

Re: Procedure for pulling motor and transmission request

Postby thunderwing » Sat Sep 03, 2016 6:27 pm

Engine stand from harbor freight....I think this would work for $57.00.....thoughts ?

http://www.harborfreight.com/1000-lb-ca ... 69886.html

Engine crane for $179.00:

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/ ... AuQl8P8HAQ

Bench lift/Hydraulic....prefer air, but for $629.00 this does it:

http://www.sears.com/rage-powersports-h ... src=aw.ds#

Does anybody have any thoughts on the above tools, or suggestions for alternatives to the above that better quality and less in price, trying to keep budget down....

Best,

Scott
Scott & Laura
Ride, Ride, Ride!
1983 GL650
1987 Yamaha Radian

RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Postby RBGERSON » Sun Sep 04, 2016 7:40 am

really don't need all that..just my .02.

get a bike jack like this one..GOOD FOR OTHER STUFF LATER ON..

http://www.harborfreight.com/automotive ... 60536.html

bike lift..at HF too under $500

But you can build a wooden one for less than $100.and use the lift above to raise and lower if interested I can look for the plans and pics of one...how often to do plan to need a bike lift??? Or if you have strong rafters in your garage..use a chain hoist to lift the engine and/or the whole bike on to a wooden/homemade bike table or your work bench.

Again just my .02
HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB

thunderwing

Postby thunderwing » Sun Sep 04, 2016 6:50 pm

Thank you for the advice and the link.

Will have garage in 3 months, not sure about the spec with regard to putting a chain hoist over a rafter, but I really like that sub $500 hydraulic jack/bench that harbor freight offers.

Engine stand that I can tear down the motor on is the next thing to work on.

Best,

Scott
Scott & Laura
Ride, Ride, Ride!
1983 GL650
1987 Yamaha Radian

Johnyy Smoke
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100
Vetter. "Its like Deja Vu all over again".

Postby Johnyy Smoke » Tue Sep 06, 2016 2:55 pm

Chain hoist? we are talking about a motorcycle, two men can lift the engine, it would seem a hoist is a little overkill. Regards, Johnny

roadwanderer2
Motorcycle: 83 GL1100A aspencade, previously owned, 1981 honda GL500i silverwing interstate, 1974 yamaha xs400, 1974 Honda cb450 twin cam, 1983 honda vt30, 1982 honda 700 shadow, 1972 cb750four, and my first bike, a brand new 1982 honda CM400e. and a new to me 1986 GL1200 aspencade SEi

Postby roadwanderer2 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:10 pm

Johnyy Smoke wrote:Chain hoist? we are talking about a motorcycle, two men can lift the engine, it would seem a hoist is a little overkill. Regards, Johnny

i for one am glad i had my chain hoist to raise my bike's 300 lb motor off the floor to put it onto my little work table. i wrapped a chain around my garage's 6" x 6" roof support beam to lift it up with. an 1100's motor is 200 lb's, and yes, 2 men can lift it up, one on each side holding it under the valve covers, but its still pretty heavy. that piece of wood you see is a landscaping tie that i have propped up under the roof beam to give it support so the beam doesn't split from the weight of the motor.

below are 2 pics of my chain hoist lifting my motor up off the ground and setting it onto my work table making it easier to pick up off the ground once i got the motor out from under the bike. that small motorcycle jack/lift should be all you need once the motor is unbolted from the frame. IF you have saddlebags with the guards around them, you might want to consider using 2 jack stands to support the rear of the bike up if you intend on removing the rear wheel/final drive and shaft like i have in the pic below.

stuart.
Attachments

thunderwing

Postby thunderwing » Tue Sep 06, 2016 5:10 pm

Stuart,

Nice work with the photos. Good to see you have the courage to pull that motor as you did.

Inspiring!!!

Chain hoist is good, Once I get a garage that will determine what method I pick. God knows you saved money with your method, which I love to do. I don't mind investing in tools either, so having an engine cherry picker hoist is also an option as I've got the bug on fixing things and have an auto restoration of 1960's-70's vehicle in my future.

What work did you need to do on your wing that had you pull the motor?

PS

I finished the headlight installation and am waiting on a seal mate tool to fix one side of my forks, did a fork seal job and i've got one side that's leaking, need to try seal mate and get the dirt out of the seal....I pray that's what it is....just want to get writing again.

Best,

Scott
Scott & Laura
Ride, Ride, Ride!
1983 GL650
1987 Yamaha Radian

roadwanderer2
Motorcycle: 83 GL1100A aspencade, previously owned, 1981 honda GL500i silverwing interstate, 1974 yamaha xs400, 1974 Honda cb450 twin cam, 1983 honda vt30, 1982 honda 700 shadow, 1972 cb750four, and my first bike, a brand new 1982 honda CM400e. and a new to me 1986 GL1200 aspencade SEi

Postby roadwanderer2 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 5:29 pm

well, when i got the bike i knew that the starter clutch was on its way out and it finally went south so i had to pull the motor to replace it. i was going to replace the clutch disks, stator and rebuild the clutch slave while i had it apart, but since i know that everything else had been replaced not too long ago by the previous owner i decided to leave well enough alone and just do the starter clutch.

while i have it off the bike, im gonna go ahead and do the timing belts as well as the thermostat. before the s.c. went bad, i had all the electronics repaired/replaced by a retired master electrician. that wasn't cheap by any means. he went thru the entire bike's electrical system from steering stem to rear tail lights and found some shorts and burnt wires and replaced, rewired, soldered and heat shrunk everything. between him coming to pick the bike up to renting a trailer get it back it, fuel to use my father in laws truck, food for the ride which i had to go down to Piedmont Alabama to where he lives, cost almost $600.00 for everything, but since i only paid $300.00 for the bike when i bought it, i dont mind sinking some money into it. if i had the same person do this for me, it would have cost over $1,500 for parts and labor which there was no way i could financially do it, so im doing it myself.

i pulled the motor off my 83 1100 a couple of years ago to do some engine work and its still going strong today. my 1100 has been down to the Florida keys 2 times since its rebuild. below are 2 pics of my 83 1100 aspy after i finished all the work to get it to where it is today including the repaint and restripes. BTW, that satin black is from spray cans and the stripes follow the original lines that i left on it so i could go over them with new stripe tape.

as far as using an engine stand, im not sure if your motor can be bolted up to one unless its make specifically for a motorcycle engine.

stuart.
Attachments

thunderwing

Postby thunderwing » Tue Sep 06, 2016 6:52 pm

I'm going to do this project over winter.

Need time and a good space to relax while I do this project, so I am preparing now. I have a motorcycle jack from harbor freight already. Just need to stockpile parts and secure a motor and transmission combo with a proven transmission. Never rebuilt a transmission before.

Perhaps if you know can you refer me to some research material or service manual to do that rebuild.

God bless that you have put a nice amount of miles on those wings, that investment has paid off in good times and reliable machinery!!
Scott & Laura
Ride, Ride, Ride!
1983 GL650
1987 Yamaha Radian

roadwanderer2

Postby roadwanderer2 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:29 pm

thunderwing wrote:I'm going to do this project over winter.

Need time and a good space to relax while I do this project, so I am preparing now. I have a motorcycle jack from harbor freight already. Just need to stockpile parts and secure a motor and transmission combo with a proven transmission. Never rebuilt a transmission before.

Perhaps if you know can you refer me to some research material or service manual to do that rebuild.

God bless that you have put a nice amount of miles on those wings, that investment has paid off in good times and reliable machinery!!

dont let its good looks fool you. it started out being an even up trade for an 81 GL500i silverwing interstate. it was a stolen, vandalized recovered 1100. to get it to the way you see it now took over 2 years and 3,200 dollars worth of time and money, but your right, it was well worth the investment.

let me see what i can do about the research, in the mean time, there are plenty of people here that can help you along the way and some good "how-to" articles you need to look at for your bike. there is also a section that you might be able to download some repair manuals. between the people here and the articles that are here, theres nothing you cant do for your wing. lord knows i got a lot of help when i had to do some work on both of my wings when i first got them.

stuart.

stuart.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”