When a GL sits for years without being run....

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100

When a GL sits for years without being run....

Postby mrcleo » Tue Sep 06, 2016 2:22 am

Hello. Another GL1100 question if I may.

This past year I have had the pleasure of being able to purchase 3 vintage GL1100 full dress for only a couple hundred bucks. The reason, you probably guessed, that the carbs were in total need of overhauling. Please don't shoot me here, but myself, and a couple of close friends always wanted a beauty like this so I got the brainy idea of doing a single carburetor conversion on them. After having great success in making the manifolds myself and installing this single carb, I have noticed the same thing on all 3 bikes...lots of smoke on startup or after warmup and very hard shifting or even trying to put them into first gear.

I have never forced the shifting, and tried the, only run it for a very short time at first then slowly increasing the running time approach. I have noticed a drastic reduction in smoking and the shifting into gear was getting easier each time.

My question is this; are there internal areas of these bikes that need to be "babied" after sitting for a while or is there anything I am doing I should not be doing or should be watching for? I would really hate to see a bike go BANG, but so far so good. Oh, after I either rebuild or replace the brake masters and/or the calipers and bleed the system and these bikes seem to be running fine, I have given them to my buddies as presents....my thanks to them for all they have done for me. Yes, I still have all the old carb setups and didn't junk them out just in case someone want/needs very inexpensive parts or to keep the existing bikes original if needed/requested. Here is a pic of my "rescued" bike...I absolutely fell in love with this thing at first sight and it was my first successful conversion! I am a very proud GL owner/rider!

Thanks again!

Motorcycle: 1977 gl1000

Re: When a GL sits for years without being run....

Postby ekvh » Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:39 am

The more you run it, the more likely the rings are likely to work free. Often sitting for years causes the rings to do the same- sit. All Wings, even recent rebuilds can and do smoke occasionally at start up. Theory is that oil seeps past the rings into the combustion chamber. Even on the centre stand, it doesn't take much to pool and get into the chambers. As long as it clears up, you're probably fine. I have no side stand and get no smoke on startup as long as I shut it down, lean the bike to the right for 5-6 seconds to drain hot oil from left jugs, then side stand it. It also helps to have oil only up to the centre mark in the sight window.

The other down side to sitting a while is if corrosive substance gets in the chamber for years, head gaskets get corroded. If the smoke turns from blue to white, head gaskets aren't far off. Nice thing on a Wing is, they can be done easily on the bike without pulling the motor.

For your shifting issue, I would visit the clutch cable for kinks or stickiness (they need to be lubed) and check adjustment per the manual.

Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Postby RBGERSON » Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:38 am

You could try running some sea foam or mmo in the oil for a few 100 miles..less than a quart in the oil..run her easy then drain and put new oil in..CHANGE THE BELTS!!! BEFORE you do anything else.

But here's the complete list. and a great site for all kinds of info..

http://www.randakksblog.com/starting-a- ... ng-lay-up/

Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 I purchased 3/16

1983 GL1100I frame with an 80 engine. poor boy installed with C-5 ignition--DIED in Grande Prairie Alberta Canada 8/15

98 valkyrie sold 8/16

Postby Wilcoy02 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 6:36 pm

I always pour a few ounces of automatic transmission fluid into the gas tank on each fueling.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”