Air shock rebuild fail

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
romanfj
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100I

Air shock rebuild fail

Postby romanfj » Tue Sep 06, 2016 6:24 am

Hi,

I rebuilt the rear air shocks and the left blew out after 50 miles. No air left in it and trans fluid leaking from the canister. The right one still seems ok.

The seals I got were All Balls, if I remember correctly. I've bought so many parts for this bike... :roll:

My question is how does one know when the shock shaft has too much wear to make a proper seal? I did notice wear on the chrome plating when I redid the shocks, but had no way to know if it was too much, so I figured I'd just give the rebuild a try and see what happened.

Also, I have a hard time trusting 35-year-old rubber air hoses. Can these shocks be used without any air? Yes, I realize that's load-dependent, but as long as I don't bottom out with the wife on the back, can it be done without damaging anything? Can the front shocks be used without air?

Thanks,

Current 1983 GL1100I
Current 1982 GL1100I/1983 Apencade hybrid (all body pieces are from the '83 A'cade), first Wing
Former CM900
Former CB400
Former Suzuki Savage

Johnyy Smoke
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100
Vetter. "Its like Deja Vu all over again".

Re: Air shock rebuild fail

Postby Johnyy Smoke » Tue Sep 06, 2016 2:27 pm

Progressive 412"s are the answer. Also progressive springs for the front. No air is needed for either one.
Lots of info here on progressive shocks! Regards, Johnny

82aspen
Motorcycle: 82 aspencade

Postby 82aspen » Thu Sep 08, 2016 12:01 am

romanfj wrote: Can these shocks be used without any air? Yes, I realize that's load-dependent, but as long as I don't bottom out with the wife on the back, can it be done without damaging anything?

no, forget the # but there is a speed restriction called out by honda for running no air, if the springs are original, gets even worse, they are likely wore out

you don't say but when you rebuilt the rear shocks, if you didn't change the internal rubber bumpers (for bottoming out), & they are original, they are known to turn into a mushy goo
Can the front shocks be used without air?

yes but worn out springs will lower ride height & reduce travel in proportion to how worn out

when i ran my 82 with no air front or back, the ride height lowered to a point that grounding out the bottom (dunno what exactly) became very easy for what should be very routine stuff, like turning into a driveway

82aspen
Motorcycle: 82 aspencade

Postby 82aspen » Thu Sep 08, 2016 12:03 am

82aspen wrote:
romanfj wrote: Can these shocks be used without any air? Yes, I realize that's load-dependent, but as long as I don't bottom out with the wife on the back, can it be done without damaging anything?
no, forget the # but there is a speed restriction called out by honda for running no air, if the springs are original, gets even worse, they are likely wore out

you don't say but when you rebuilt the rear shocks, if you didn't change the internal rubber bumpers (for bottoming out), & they are original, they are known to turn into a mushy goo
Can the front shocks be used without air?
yes but worn out springs will lower ride height & reduce travel in proportion to how worn out

when i ran my 82 with no air front or back, the ride height lowered to a point that grounding out the bottom (dunno what exactly) became very easy for what should be very routine stuff, like turning into a driveway

romanfj
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100I

Postby romanfj » Thu Sep 08, 2016 5:58 am

Thanks for the input.

I did replace the bumpers and they HAD turned to goo!

Unfortunately for me, I see the reduced ride height as a plus (30" inseam and I always wear boots).

However, I can still reach the ground with 50 lbs air in the rear, so I'm hoping the pair of Progressive 412s I bought for the rear aren't going to be a problem.
Current 1983 GL1100I
Current 1982 GL1100I/1983 Apencade hybrid (all body pieces are from the '83 A'cade), first Wing
Former CM900
Former CB400
Former Suzuki Savage

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:05 pm

If the bumpers are worn and allowing the shocks to travel farther than they would otherwise travel, then you need to adjust the amount of fluid in the shock. Otherwise, when the shock compresses, there won't be enough room inside the shock for the fluid that is in there, the pressure will get too high, and the seals will blow out...kind of like what you experienced.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”