83 1100A Rear Brake Pedal Sticks Badly

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
DaveDanger
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100A Aspencade

83 1100A Rear Brake Pedal Sticks Badly

Postby DaveDanger » Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:26 pm

I've searched the forum and found that this is a somewhat common problem... Depress the rear brake pedal and the brakes apply normally, but the pedal will not return without pulling it up by toe or by hand. I can see the cotter pin and washer that retains the brake pedal on the pivot shaft, but my question is this... Is that pedal capable of completely coming off of that pivot shaft? It looks like there isn't enough room to allow the brake pedal to move inboard far enough to slide off.
I do have the Wing up on my 30 inch lift (Harbor Freight) and am taking care of several issues all at once. Getting ready for cooler weather and enjoying riding again. Been too hot to enjoy it this summer!
[url[/url]

A successful leader is someone who may be chased down the street by an angry mob but will make it look like he is leading a triumphal parade.

redbug
Motorcycle: 1983 Gl1100I
1986 Harley FLHT

Re: 83 1100A Rear Brake Pedal Sticks Badly

Postby redbug » Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:37 pm

Yes sir you do have room to remove the pedal. Remember to disconnect the brake light spring attached to the pedal.
" Ridin on Tulsa Time "

DaveDanger
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100A Aspencade

Postby DaveDanger » Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:04 pm

Yeah, the brake light spring was the first thing I disconnected, then disconnected the pedal from the master cylinder itself. I wanted to verify the problem was the pedal and not the master cylinder (tiny orifice).
When I got the bike in 2012 that orifice was plugged solid and that was one of several problems that caused that rear pedal to stick.
It is definitely the pedal tho. It takes pretty much all my arm pressure to push the pedal down or to pull it up.
A successful leader is someone who may be chased down the street by an angry mob but will make it look like he is leading a triumphal parade.

mytown
Motorcycle: 1982 Goldwing Interstate

Postby mytown » Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:44 pm

The problem I had when sliding the pedal off the pivot point on my '82 was that the arm of the pedal hit the clutch cable. Since it was almost off at that point I lubed it without forcing it any further and then slid it back on into place. Here's a link that includes showing how I did the job. There are a couple of pictures at the bottom of the thread that show the pedal striking the cable:
http://goldwingdocs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=15042&p=198886#p198886

Monsignore
Motorcycle: '83 GL1100 w/ CSC Friendship I sidecar, '05 R1200GS

Postby Monsignore » Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:39 pm

I had the same issue with my '83 GLI. Except I didn't have a bike lift. Instead, I parked the sidecar's wheel on the curb and popped the bike up on the centerstand. That gave me juuuust enough room to get underneath. I never did manage to get the pedal off all the way. My patience ran out and it was 95+ degrees out.
But yeah, get the pedal off, hit the pivot with some emory paper or xfine grit sandpaper, slather with marine grease, reinstall, and have at it!

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”