my gl needs lot of coolant and oil...

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
jnl1000
Motorcycle: 1981 gl1000 interstate

my gl needs lot of coolant and oil...

Postby jnl1000 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:53 pm

Hi
I`ve been reading from this exelent forum for a while, and got most answers ive been looking for!
But now i`m trying to gather information about a restore that needs to be done.
I found my beutiful blue interstate early last year. Ive been using it daily, driving 50 km to work in 8 mounths a year ( snow in the Winter, so she`?s resting for 4 mounths). So last year i drove around 10.000 kilometers and refilles about 2litres oil, this year i tryid seafome With little Luck. Ive also noticed that temperature is rising on even o n Cold days. If i refill in the resovoir it doesnt get into the system until i drove a while ( like an hour). But after the resovoir is empty, she has good tempertures and runs Perfect. I have no idea how much coolant that Ive refilled, but i need to check every week.

I cant notice smoke or steam in the exhaust, no steam hot or Cold. I have good compression ( wihtin the tolerans betwen cylinders and very good value`s). No leaks. I can tell from history (Complete from 1981, With tests every year) that the odometer only got around once, wich now is 111000 km.
I Guess the oil rings on the pistons is old and worn, but where to look for coolant leaking? I dont want to take the engine out if i dont need to, but i suppose i wont acess the oil rings any other way.
No water in the oil, but i dont know if theres oil in the water.

So, what more to check, any idea`s, any "common" cooling problems, anything to try/ check first. cylinder head gasket ( wouldnt be even compression then?) cylinder foot gasket?) I could live With the oil consume, but not the cooling water. Best regards Johan

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: my gl needs lot of coolant and oil...

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:00 pm

This really, REALLY sounds like a failed head gasket.

Pull your spark plugs. Is one (or more!) of them bright and shiny clean?

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”