How screwed am i? Head gasket, worse?

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
James B
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100A Aspencade

How screwed am i? Head gasket, worse?

Postby James B » Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:47 pm

Well, I just replaced the Radiator, thermostat, switch on my 83 1100. all went well until I filled up the coolant and fired it up. Water was pouring out of the exaust, not just a little, It flew out with force, out of the garage and all over the front of my truck. Looked like at least a half gallon came out of there.

Now I was hoping before the head gaskets were ok, but this tells me that at least they are shot and probable something more only I don't know what. the oil on the dipstick looks fine, so I pulled the valve covers off and the oil in there was a dirty carmel color, kinda on the milky side which ive seen on my old cars with the head gasket blown. but I have nevew seen water shoot out like that before, what would cause that?

Thanks in advance..................James

RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Re: How screwed am i? Head gasket, worse?

Postby RBGERSON » Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:46 am

Lots of water in one cylinder while the others were firing..w/o water..or a cracked bloc..hope not!!
HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB

James B
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100A Aspencade

Re: How screwed am i? Head gasket, worse?

Postby James B » Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:30 pm

got the heads off today and both gaskets had holes the size of the san andreas. drained everything, pulled the plugs, now I gotta wait till payday to order the gasket set and other parts. Hope theres not a block problem. letcha know in a week or so how things came out.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”