Front light wiring nightmare!

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
maritimeboy
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100

Front light wiring nightmare!

Postby maritimeboy » Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:54 pm

Reverting a home made Interstate back to a naked wing 1980 GL1100 . I have the 9 pin connector that fed the head and signal lights but cannot seem to make the new ones work. I have seen posts pertaining to this and similar situations but not having luck so far. How do these lights get grounded? The faring harness had multiple grey wires all hooked together, are these the grounds?
Any input?

Cheers

Some days your the statue, some days your the Pigeon!

maritimeboy
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100

Re: Front light wiring nightmare!

Postby maritimeboy » Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:28 pm

Got the signal lights and low beam working. Some color codes followed standard, some didn't make sense at all. Still cannot find the blue high beam connection.
Some days your the statue, some days your the Pigeon!

mytown
Motorcycle: 1982 Goldwing Interstate

Re: Front light wiring nightmare!

Postby mytown » Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:13 am

maritimeboy wrote:Reverting a home made Interstate back to a naked wing 1980 GL1100 . I have the 9 pin connector that fed the head and signal lights but cannot seem to make the new ones work. I have seen posts pertaining to this and similar situations but not having luck so far. How do these lights get grounded? The faring harness had multiple grey wires all hooked together, are these the grounds?
Any input?

Cheers

The nine pin connector is part of what is sometimes referred to as a "pigtail" and it is eliminated when reverting back to naked. Part #2 here:
Should look like this:
Here's a picture of a section of the wiring diagram for the '80 Standard that could prove helpful. It's from a hard copy of the Honda Goldwing manual:

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”