Starter would not stop cranking

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
robertdawber
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 Interstate

Starter would not stop cranking

Postby robertdawber » Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:59 pm

I went for a ride tonight and stopped at a store. When I went to start the bike and pushed the starter switch the starter kept cranking even after I released the button and after I turned the key off.
I ended up placing it in gear with the ignition off - probably out of panic because I wanted to get to the side cover to remove the fuse.
Anyway-now the relay clicks, the lights go dim, the horn sounds like it has no juice-
I ended up pop starting it to get it home and am confused as to what the hell happened.
Any ideas??
Bob

goldtr6c
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD
1982 GL1100 STD
1976 GL1000 "800lb Canary"

Re: Starter would not stop cranking

Postby goldtr6c » Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:39 pm

When the starter keeps cranking like that, its most likely the plunger in your solenoid switch sticking. Best to just replace it. It could also be the starter button itself sticking but thats kinda rare.

robertdawber

Postby robertdawber » Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:46 pm

So, if I am understanding you correctly-you think that perhaps the solenoid itself may be bad.
I am guessing that would have drained the battery as well?
Ugh....Iread somewhere that you can use a solenoid from an F150 in place of the Honda??

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:49 am

It's not the starter switch, because if it was, turning the key switch off would have stopped cranking the engine. It's definitely the solenoid. You might have been able to "fix" it temporarily by giving it a whack on the side with something hard, but it will need to be replaced. You can source an original "new to you" one online, or like mentioned here, there are lots of small auto solenoids that will work just as well.

robertdawber

Postby robertdawber » Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:03 pm

WingAdmin wrote:It's not the starter switch, because if it was, turning the key switch off would have stopped cranking the engine. It's definitely the solenoid. You might have been able to "fix" it temporarily by giving it a whack on the side with something hard, but it will need to be replaced. You can source an original "new to you" one online, or like mentioned here, there are lots of small auto solenoids that will work just as well.

Thanks-
I thought about it last night and thought the same as far as the switch.
I will let you know how it all turns out. Want to head to LA (from here in Maine) in about 4 weeks-glad this happened now!
Bob

goldtr6c
1982 GL1100 STD

Postby goldtr6c » Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:06 pm

In the mean time just keep a small tack hammer or wrench handy. If it sticks again just yank the cover off and give a couple taps and it should release.

robertdawber

Postby robertdawber » Sat Aug 28, 2010 1:13 pm

WingAdmin wrote:It's not the starter switch, because if it was, turning the key switch off would have stopped cranking the engine. It's definitely the solenoid. You might have been able to "fix" it temporarily by giving it a whack on the side with something hard, but it will need to be replaced. You can source an original "new to you" one online, or like mentioned here, there are lots of small auto solenoids that will work just as well.

The starter was shot-it was on it's way anyway and I had already bought a new one (new to me)
No when I turn the key on and hit the start button the lights go dim and nothing.
I replaced the solenoid with one from a Ford-I got it at PepBoys.
Maybe I I put it in wrong or maybe it is one that will not work?
It has 3 posts-one for the starter, one for the battery to the ignition and one to connect to the ground-well, I assume it is the ground because you would not ground the thing to the frame if I am not mistaken.

Also, with that hooked in-when I turn the key, even all the way to the right the headlight remains on-I never turn it that far so I never noticed if that is normal.
Frustrated in Maine!

robertdawber

Postby robertdawber » Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:38 pm

Got the starter working-turns out the relay I bought was no good.
In any case-the thing starts right up.
Now the blinkers still do not work. I still think the relay is shot,
I read that our Admin wrote (on another board) that he replaced his-as did others-with an electrical auto relay.
In doing so not using the green wire. So, if this is the case-what relay can one use and where do the other two wires go?
Also, are there connections behind the stereo that have anything to do with the blinkers? (other than one side of lights to another)

Thanks

goldtr6c
1982 GL1100 STD

Postby goldtr6c » Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:52 pm

Keep in mind that the Ford solenoid grounds on the fender well where it bolts up. The original Honda unit is suspended in a rubber holder. You may have to run a ground wire to the mounting tabs or bolt it to something grounded.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”