GL1100a rear brake spongy plus rear end light problem

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
bobbybiscuit
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A Aspencade

GL1100a rear brake spongy plus rear end light problem

Postby bobbybiscuit » Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:07 am

I have received a replacement working rear master cylinder for my GL1100a 1982 aspencade. All conncted up but what a nightmare trying to bleed and get some pressure. I have purchased a newbottle of dot4 brakle fluid aswell to start again with a manual bleed rather than pressure feed from nipple ( (ie vacuum feed)The good news is the caliper pistons back off very quickly but pressure is rubbish although now i have used brand new brake fluid there is less microscopic bubbles in the fluid.

Other thing that i have a problem with is the rear lighting - no normal light at rear, no stop light. no indicators - in fact no nothing! :-)

I have found a wire coming close to microswitch for rear brake thats not connected to anything which may ore may not be the problem - see image attached. Checked fuses - OK. Indicators work at front. Horn works, front light works, ront brake switch does not light up rear brake stop light. Electrics are a nightmare to me so make it idiot proof please with any response. Even then I might not understand! lol
Attachments

Johnyy Smoke
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100
Vetter. "Its like Deja Vu all over again".

Re: GL1100a rear brake spongy plus rear end light problem

Postby Johnyy Smoke » Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:42 pm

Goldwing brake lines can be quite fun getting to bleed out. You can also consider rebuilding the master cylinder, not to hard nor expensive. As for bleeding the lines,I have had the best luck with a Mityvak. I don't own stock in the company, but they do work.
There are lots of places a rouge bubble can hide in a brake line on a wing. Patience will prevail. Regards, Johnny

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”