1982 Interstate

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
mhschne
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 Interstate

1982 Interstate

Postby mhschne » Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:52 pm

I picked up a 1982 GL1100 Interstate that had been stripped down to a naked wing for $600. Long story short, the guy I bought it from picked up the 2 bikes on a trade for a golf cart and was upset they weren't in the running condition that was promised (other than obviously needing tires). He said that he thinks the 1982 needs the right head gasket replaced, because it is smoking on the right side. I bought the bike and trailered it home, knowing it was not road ready, it needed tires and presumably a head gasket replacement.

I was getting ready to order parts, replace the gasket and decided to backtrack not knowing a bit of the history. I compression tested all four cylinders. They were all at 150 psi. That made me second guess the diagnosis of needing the head gasket replaced. It was over filled with oil (which would explain smoking on both sides, but smoking on the right side only is indicative of a problem). I pulled the head cover on the right side and there is some oil on the cover itself and around the valves.

I also drained the coolant, which appeared to have a little bit of oil in it (but I am not 100% sure it wasn't in the pan I drained into). I refilled the coolant with distilled water and I plan on draining the oil to the correct level. The oil appears to be pretty new, rather than dark.

After I do that I want to run the engine and keep an eye on coolant and oil levels to make sure coolant isn't pumping into the oil due to a bad seal,etc. I am just wondering several things.

1. How much risk is there to running the motor and keeping a close eye on the oil/coolant levels?

2. Given the equal compression on all four cylinders, could a bad head gasket still be the problem (given the oil I saw around the valves) or is there a differential diagnosis I should consider?

I DID LET IT RUN FOR SEVERAL MINUTES AND THE SMOKE CLEARED.

I don't have a timeline, but I am pretty sure the bike has sat for awhile. The title was signed off on, on 2/28/13......before that the title was issued in May 2011. The gentleman I bought from never transferred the title into his name.

Regards,

Mark

sportsfreaked
Motorcycle: 1981 Honda Goldwing Interstate GL1100I
1985 Honda Goldwing Limited Edition gl1200

Re: 1982 Interstate

Postby sportsfreaked » Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:29 pm

Mark I am far from an expert but it isn't going to hurt to let it run and keep an eye on coolant and oil levels. If it wasn't on the center stand and it was on the kickstand then that could explain the smoke out of the one side. It could also be that the valve seals are worn and are leaking some oil past the valves causing the smoking as well. If you have equal compression on all 4 then that would indicate that your rings are in good shape and that the head gasket is most likely fine. I know the 81 I had that I gave to my son smokes every now and then on start up but then quickly stops and it doesn't use any oil. I'm sure more will weigh in and give their thoughts.

One thing for sure is if you are going to keep it then change the timing belts before riding! If they break then you may need a new head :o . Best of luck to you!!
Thanks to all who answer and help. It is greatly appreciated!
Ed

mhschne
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 Interstate

Postby mhschne » Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:58 am

Thanks Ed! It's more of a fall project/getting ready for next spring, rather than, I'm trying to get on the bike immediately (I'm in Wisconsin). I'll definitely, put timing belt change on the "to do" list (along with getting some anti-freeze back in the radiator before it gets cold).

Mark

sportsfreaked

Postby sportsfreaked » Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:25 am

Mark no problem. This site is one of the best on the web for help and information. Not sure if you are a novice to Wings or experienced but no matter the level of knowledge you have the people on here are great at helping out and solving problems. No question is a dumb question and the people here don't make you feel like your an idiot. The amount of knowledge on here is tremendous. Hoping over the winter you get her all fixed up and ready to ride for the spring. These are great bikes for sure and are a joy to ride and work on! Take care.
Ed
Ed

PAPete
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200-A
1982 GL1100-I

Postby PAPete » Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:29 pm

[quote="sportsfreaked If it wasn't on the center stand and it was on the kickstand then that could explain the smoke out of the one side. One thing for sure is if you are going to keep it then change the timing belts before riding! If they break then you may need a new head :o . Best of luck to you!![/quote]

My understanding is that if a bike smokes because it's been left on the kickstand, it will smoke on the left side of the bike, not the right. But I certainly agree that you should change the timing belts before running the bike and keeping an eye on the oil and coolant levels. Just my $.02.
Pete
82 GL1100-I
85 GL 1200-A

sportsfreaked

Postby sportsfreaked » Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:38 pm

Pete is correct on the left side smoking if left on kickstand, Sorry I didn't see the right side in your original post. Thanks for the correction Pete!

Ed

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”